Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Found source of infection!

Old 09-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
jma99
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Found source of infection!

I think I found it!

Like many, I have a bucket collection.
I keep getting a recurrent lacto infection about half the time I brew.
(AG only, and I keg.)

Couple of weeks ago I took some vacation to watch the kids while SWMBO went antiquing with her sister.

I brewed 6 batches in 7 days, and found out which buckets have the lacto.

Well, after tossing out 3 AG batches in one week. (12 man hours wasted)
I have decieded to pitch all my plastic buckets and have ordered a couple of 6 gal better bottles to use as primary fermenters.

Does anyone use these? Do I need a blow off, or is 6 gal big enough?

Thanks,

Joel

Old 09-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1342 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I would venture a guess that about half the forum regulars use better bottles and the other half are split between glass, buckets and conicals. With good temperature control, I ferment 5.5 gallons in the 6g BB and yes, use a blowoff. You can put some 1/2" ID over the large nipple on the orange carboy caps. If you want to go bigger, swipe some discarded caps off the company water cooler bottles, drill a hole and insert a nylon hose barb in whatever size you want (lowes and HD should have them).

Old 09-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
jcarson83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

The same thing drove me to use better bottles. I just didn't have as many lacto infections before I switch. Man you stubborn. Depending on the batch I use a blow off tube. I don't do anything special though, just stick a tube on the airlock.