Dry yeast vs. liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
how about some opinions on dry yeast. I just ordered a couple of packages of dry yeast but have yet to use any. I have a preconceived bias against dry yeast but have noticed many on here use it. I am now an AG brewer and it does cost less but with the effort that goes into all grain, is dry yeast worthy or should we stick w/ liquid yeast?

Regards,
Al

Dude, seriously, search dry vs liquid, you will spend the rest of the night reading opinions.

I personally only use dry yeast if I am fermenting a neutral, American-style ale. I use S-05, and pitch and ferment either 65°F or below to get it super-clean.

I haven't been too pleased with S-04, and haven't used anything else. I just think that I'm trying to make the best beer possible, I will spend the extra couple of dollars and get a yeast to style. I also brew primarily Belgian-style beers, and they (with conventional wisdom) aren't to be recreated with dry yeast.

I'd like to hear others' results with S-04, however. I also know a lot of people on this board use Nottingham, but I haven't...it seems well-received, though.

Dude, seriously, search dry vs liquid, you will spend the rest of the night reading opinions.

HA! I was thinking that.

bart.jpg

I sure LOVE dry Yeast for "Normal" beer, but the specialty beers that gain a lot of the flavor from the yeast, I'd always go for the Liquid and a nice big starter.

BigKahuna, thats interesting, what kind of beers are we talking about. Belgians, Hef's? (Im new at this)

BigKahuna, thats interesting, what kind of beers are we talking about. Belgians, Hef's? (Im new at this)

Specifically...YES! Both Belgians and Hef's are quite literally no better than the yeast you use on them. And just the same, a nice light Cream Ale or an American Light Ale, or an IPA for that matter are far less dependant on the flavor of the yeast, and actually benefit from a very clean and "nutral" fermenting yeast. These are where dry yeast can not be beat!

IMHO: Lots of people that are staunch Liquid yeast fans are mostly stuck on the ways of old. There certainly was a time when most all dry yeast wasn't much better than Red Star Active Bread Yeast, but that simply isn't the case these days. Many MANY! Dry yeasts rival the flavor complexity of a liquid. But like I said, I use both, mostly based on how involved I want to be with a particular brew when I'm ordering supplies.

I use both and have great success with both. My house ale is always fermented with US-05 or Nottingham. Always turns out great and even though I do yeast farming of liquid yeasts, I still use dry yeast a lot.
I use liquid yeast for specialty beers and lagers.

yes I'm sure its been discussed to death and I was a bit lazy. Thanks for all of the replies though.

I have used pretty much exclusively liquid yeast and I wash and save and reuse it several times. Most of the time I brew w/ Wyeast 1056 and wyeast 1098 which pretty much fit the description of "regular beer" yeasts.

I have some SA-05 so I will try that.

Thanks again,
Al

US-05, US-04, and Nottingham are some of the best ale yeasts available on the market today. I love 'em, homebrewers who have been brewing 10-15 years in the local club love 'em.

Few people like dry lager yeast, however.

My personal experience.

SafAle S-04: - My house yeast for bitters, mild and brown ales. This is a fruity yeast but it can be moderated down if you ferment it at 66-67.

SafAle S-33 - no real experience with this.

SafAle US 05 American Ale: Very good american ale yeast. Works fine in scottish 60 and 70 style and stouts. Just a great yeast if you want to highlight the hops and or malt.

SafBrew T-58 - no experience

SafLager S-23 - Fine line between fruity and clean. Seems to respond to a multi temp fermentation. I start it off at 55 and then raise it up to do a rest at 60. Makes a decent lager. Has a bad reputation among some brewers.

Superior Lager yeast - a GREAT yeast to make a lager at 60 degrees. I've used this one multiple times and have enjoyed the results each time. It is very crisp and responds well to conditioning. My choice for a CAP or Helles if I'm too lazy to make a starter or do not have a yeast cake to repitch with. I have made my Oktoberfest beers with this and they attenuate well and still leave a nice malt backbone. Overall a fine yeast for higher temp lager fermentation. NOTE: This is a sleeper yeast. Even with 21 grams pitch in 5 gallons it is a very mild yeast in that it does not krausen heavily or show much signs of working even though the gravity drops.

SafLager W-34/70 - Makes a very nice lager. No personal experience but have tasted several beers made with it. Planning on using it on an upcoming american lager.

SafLager S-189 Lager Yeast - Still working out the tricks to this one. Not sure I like it yet but I'm starting to believe my water profile was wrong for the beers I chose to ferment with this.

Back