My neighbors - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > My neighbors

Old 04-20-2008, 01:07 AM   #11
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

I swear I have 12 people living in the house next door. They treat their dogs like crap, chained up outside.

Across the street we have a group home for wayward girls.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 04-20-2008, 01:26 AM   #12
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 813 Times on 514 Posts

My experience with neighbors over the past few years has been about 50/50.

At my first rental, there was a guy down the road who thought he was the neighborhood speed cop. I never drove that fast at all, but he actually followed me to my house one day, running his fat ass after my truck. When he got to me, he started ranting and raving about slowing down. He told me he'd call the cops next time he caught me "speeding" (20 in a 25 zone isn't exactly being a speed demon). I told him if he didn't get out of the driveway and stop threatening, I'd call 'em first. The rest of the neighbors were either really cool or kept to themselves.

My next neighborhood was full of great people, but some of the gals got WAY too nosy. SWMBO referred to them as the "Stepford Wives." It got so bad that she would actually turn the lights off and sneak around the house pretending not be home.

My last apartment complex experience before buying a house was a disaster, also. People who didn't pay for covered parking still tried to "claim" the public spots as their own. They got REALLY douchie about it. The same girl who regularly neglected her giant Newfoundland's elephant sized piles turned my SWMBO in for not cleaning up after our dog (it was dark, the tiny turds were right outside our door, and she picked them up in the morning).

In New Mexico, I had a few great neighbors and some real douchebags. It's more fun to talk about the idiots. A friend of mine came over while the neighborhood was still mostly under construction. He had a remote controlled helicopter that was rigged to shoot bottle rockets. The cops showed up after a single launch. I wish the one who called them would've had the common courtesy to come outside and let me know their kids were sleeping or something. My immediate neighbor's house was built by the same builder as mine. He actually called the builder (with whom I'd become friends) when the washer and dryer showed up because he didn't understand how to hook them up. A few days later, he came over and asked if I had a schematic of the cable wiring. I said, "No, but it wouldn't help. Your house is very "wired." It has six cable feeds, allowing you to have cable, and multiple satellite feeds. You'll need to trace one of the six from the exterior to the interior, as they all follow the same routing. I have a signal generator if you want to borrow it." He said, "Well, I really need a schematic. I'll call the builder." I tried telling him it wouldn't help, but he wouldn't listen. Later on he asked for my help again, and I offered to just wire it up for him. He refused, stating he still didn't have a schematic and didn't trust me to go mucking around. I wound up throwing some coax connectors to him and muttering something like, "Good luck." I nearly killed his "outside cat" a few times, his kids were among the dumbest I've ever met (dented a neighbors garage door with a basketball because they got bored using the net they'd been allowed to practice on), and his wife was really strange. I think he was actually scared of me, and that was just fine with me! He once flew a model airplane into my backyard and waited all day for my wife to get home before asking for it back (I had no idea it was there, and he admitted having had a "morning aviation accident"). What a weird, helpless dude.

Neighbors. Eh.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:26 AM   #13
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Ohio
Liked 63 Times on 55 Posts

Maybe it's not like this everywhere in the country, but here in Ohio, people feel the need to become best buddies with their neighbors and it drives me nuts.

I have my family and friends - I don't need to be friends with you just because you moved in the house next to me. I can't wait to get my fence up.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:34 AM   #14
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts

I've had my share of A-Hole neighbors for the last 3 homes..

My last house had a$$holes to the left of me and richard weeds to the right. Both were very inconsiderate neighbors with barking dogs. The a$$holes to the left would always fire up the lawnmower on a Sundays when we were entertaining in the back yard.

It's so much better having just over 4 acres. 200' wide by 800' long with the house smack in the middle. Can't see a neighbor, so having breakfast on the deck in my boxers is fine.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:35 AM   #15
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopleaf
They always let their dogs crap in my yard.
That would not last long, before it ended up on their front porch in a flaming lunch bag.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:39 AM   #16
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 813 Times on 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
That would not last long, before it ended up on their front porch in a flaming lunch bag.
I'd bake up a batch of brownies and pile some of the turds on top (in a very obvious, stinky manner) and offer them as a gift. When the obligatory, "WTF?!" ensues, I'd simply say, "Well, I like your dog's $hit in my yard as much as you like it on brownies."

Guess I should look for a property like Ed's.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:50 AM   #17
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts

I've got over 2 acres.

I can go naked (not a pretty sight mind you...) on my back deck...(facing west) there's nothing but corn fields for 8 miles...

My neighbor to the south is an American Legion that's not even open on the weekends unless it's reserved for a party.

Neighbor to the north is a farm house about 10+ car lengths away...

There's 5 houses across the street facing east...my front yard is about the size of 3 lots...

I think there's only 2 kids on our street...

Old 04-20-2008, 01:54 AM   #18
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I've got over 2 acres.

I can go naked (not a pretty sight mind you...) on my back deck..
Life is good!

Do you have a big deck?

[youtube]QQ7Ue5emo6I[/youtube]

Mine is huge!

Old 04-20-2008, 02:07 AM   #19
bru-er
Recipes 

Mar 2008
ABQ, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
He had a remote controlled helicopter that was rigged to shoot bottle rockets.
Funny. Ahole neighbors in ABQ were shooting bottle rockets on the 4th. As you know fireworks(at least the fun ones) are illegal here. These tools were shooting rockets about 100 yards from a fire station, at the fire station - when the firefighters enforcing the ban show up they get pi$$ed at my wife for calling them, she didn't. The fat liquored up uncle starts calling my wife a b1tch and threatens to kick her a$$. I guess we moved about a year later, but man these guys were top notch douche pipes.

Their most memorable:

30-06 new years eve middle of town
entire family attempting to intimidate by cleaning the 30-06 on the porch
getting the finger from a 6-year old
accusing my wife of backing into their car (I guess they knew we were insured)

I could probably come up with more, but it still pi$$es me off.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:29 AM   #20
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Life is good! Do you have a big deck? Mine is huge!
You betcha!!

It's a 12x18 right now, but I sent away for them pills to enlarge it...I'll be paying for it with the UK lottery winnings I have coming to me...sure was glad those Nigerians purchased the ticket for me, I would have never won...