Fermentation finished, can I wait a week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerMatt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first AG batch has seemed to finished fermenting, the liquid in the airlock is completely still and balanced so it has no pressure behind it. I just finished bottling my last batch and probly don't have time to bottle this one until next weekend. Will I hurt it if I let it sit in the primary untouched until next weekene or should I try to squeeze in a bottling day before that?

Airlock activity is not a great indicator of fermentation being complete. Your need to let is sit another week is not a bad thing.

You'll be fine, OP.

You may be at terminal but I suspect the extra time will give the yeast an opportunity to further clean up after themselves and drop out of suspension--both good things.

It depends. I've read one size does not fit all. If it's done it's done. I'm not saying don't wait, but know why you're waiting. The thought is different methods for different yeasts and styles. e.g. If an English Ale you want to package as soon as it's done to keep the esters from being "cleaned up".

Well it is an english style pretty sweet amber ale (16% cara aroma, S-04)

Soaking labels off bottles as I write this ;) gonna buy an autosiphon some day this week, can't rack without it anyway and don't have time to bottle before saturday night. Gonna let it sit a full month, my birfday is 29.3. and promised myself no touchy before that. Better be good :D

Well it is an english style pretty sweet amber ale (16% cara aroma, S-04)

Soaking labels off bottles as I write this ;) gonna buy an autosiphon some day this week, can't rack without it anyway and don't have time to bottle before saturday night. Gonna let it sit a full month, my birfday is 29.3. and promised myself no touchy before that. Better be good :D

...while you wait, Ck this out: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/post1633/

Thx, gonna listen through that tomorrow at work. Though more of a Shepherd Neame fan myself. Ohhh if I could find a recipe for, or real close to, MasterBrew, alcoholism would be inevitable :D

20170220_2229498b397.jpg
[/IMG]

Couldn't wait, had to take a gravity reading (to sneak a lil taste sample ;) )

1.058-> 1.014=5,77%. Right where I wanted it. There's a lot of yeasty bits floating on the surface as can be seen on the cup, the beer has a slight burnt taste but doesn't seem to be infected in any way. Aftertaste is pretty nice, sort of hints of what it probly will become once finished, slightly sweet, fruity, nutty, hints of tea. Exited.

Week has passed. Just took a gravity reading before adding priming sugar and tasted it after measuring, the taste has VASTLY improved from last week! The burnt taste is completely gone, the tea notes are much more on the forefront and the sweetness is less "glued on" and more blended into the palate. YUM! ABV 5,7% warms nicely but doesn't overpower. This wasn't supposed to be this easy! First batch ever and nailed it? Well lucky I can always brew more and then morer!

Gonna be a looooong month!

Back