Fermenting Beer set off Fire Alarm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I ferment my beer in a small closet in my basement. The other day I noticed a fire alarm was going off in my basement...I was surprised to find the only sounding alarm in the ceiling of my brew closet. Is it possible that the fermentation put out so much CO2 that it set off my smoke detector?

Not sure of smoke detector but I had a bottle blow up and set off the co2 detector. I put a brew in a jus container to give to my parents to try thinking that it would be ok and they would drink it right away. A month later I stop in to visit them they told me a funny story about the co2 detector going off and they call the firedepartment to check what was going on. Sure enought they fond the empty bottle with beer all over the closet. Almost piss myself laughing.

Is it a smoke detector /Carbon monoxide detector? I can see a vigorous fermentation setting off a C02 detector in a very small closet.

I would say it is very unlikely, that it would set off your smoke detector, unless it vented small particles, almost steam like. Even if it was a combo smoke and CO (carbonMonoxide) detector, the CO2 (carbonDioxide) should not set it off. It could be as simple as dust, or even a small spider.

Yeah, I think the detector detects a lot of things-- CO2 being one of them. Given what's in there, I think that's what happened. I don't think anything else could've caused it.

I am searching the forums for information on CO detectors being set off by fermenting beer. I just woke up at 6am to the CO detector in the back stairs going off... It is where I keep my primary fermenters. It turns out that the airlock one one of the primaries got clogged with trub overnight. The pressure built, and before the top blew off, the plastic spigot on the bottom of the bucket broke loose. Amazingly enough, it did not give away completely... but just allowed a slow drip out of the primary.
As I mentioned, I woke up to the CO detector going off this morning, and about 12 liters of fermenting beer had leaked out and down the stairs. My assumption is that the CO2 was in strong enough concentration that it set off the CO detector. Saved me from leaking another 15 liters of beer down the back steps (the steps have stairs... this is going to be a nightmare).
Not sure why a CO detector would react to the CO2 - but it may be that the detector is past its prime... it is 11 years old, and the back of the unit indicates it should be replaced in 6 to 8 years.

Latest posts

Back