Temperature changes and clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpt222

Reaction score
I would like to get some general thoughts and experiences with the following area:

I have noticed that lagering my Pale Ales for a few weeks after carbonation has basically made them crystal clear in a glass, as opposed to cloudy if I would just take them from room temp and chill for a few days. Now if I were to store these lagered beers at room temp again (for sake of space and/or travel), should they keep their clarity just fine?

I realize that by moving the beer when traveling I will shake up the yeast a little bit, but the chill haze is a different attribute. Once the chill haze is gone, does it ever return?

Hi,
It depends on what caused the haze in the first place. Likely a lot of the tannins, yeast and protein settled out when you lagered your beer. That will remain in the sediment if you don't shake the bottle out too much.

Chill Haze is a little different animal. Most chill haze is either caused by proteins or contaminants of some kind. However, keep in mind that chill haze occurs at low temperature (near 0 C) and tends to go away as you warm the beer up because the hazy contaminants will dissolve at higher temperatures.

So if you don't see a lot of chill haze at low temperatures, it is unlikely to get worse after you warm it up as long as you don't disturb the sediment.

Cheers!
Brad

Back