How do you clean your liquid connectors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I put a new keg in my keezer yesterday, so I took the opportunity to clean my liquid lines and connectors.

I have pin-lock connectors (not that it matters for this question), and when I clean them, I use an old AAA batter to depress the pin (the part that depressed the poppet) on the bottom, so I can run water, cleaner and sanitizer through the connector.

When I started reattaching everything yesterday, one of the liquid connectors started leaking around the circle of plastic on the top (my pin-locks have a black plastic circle on top of a red body).

This is the first issue I've had like this, but I'm wondering if I caused it by my use of the battery to depress the pin on the connector.

So, I was wondering what methods others use to clean their connectors? Or can I just give them a good soaking and not worry about depressing the pin at all?

Thanks for your help!

There is a good thread about using a garden sprayer with a post on it. I use one, the kind of sprayer you pump up to pressurize. You could also put some cleaner in an empty keg and push it through with CO2.

I'm not familiar with pin locks and their Quick Disconnectors, but on the ball lock QDs, that top lid screws out for cleaning or repairing the interior.
There's a thin square-profile rubber washer in that lid making the seal with the QD body.

If yours are similar, maybe tighten that little screw lid on top?

I prefer to take the QDs apart from time to time for a thorough cleaning and sanitizing treatment.

Last edited:
You can unscrew the black cap and take apart the QD. Check if the o-ring or the pin is damaged. Could also be that the cap is loose for some reason.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have a small fountain pump with a MFL connector on a short piece of tubing - that's what I use to cycle my line cleaner. I put some cleaner in a bucket, put the fountain pump in the bucket, put the bucket under the tap and let it run for a while.

I also have one of the Home Depot sprayer rigs to run hot water, Star San and air through the lines.

I took the disconnect apart (never knew I could - live and learn). The o-ring is almost cut completely through in a spot. Does anyone know anywhere that sells the o-rings? The o-ring is flat; I have round ones that are pretty much the same size. Has anyone replaced one with a round-sided o-ring?

Thanks again for the help!

If you have an o-ring that's pretty close, give it a try. Worst thing is that it still leaks. If that doesn't work, might be time to get a new QD.

Latest posts

Back