First rootbeer Corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPin

Reaction score
So I took the leap and did my first root beer keg.

5 gallons of Royal Root Beer extract, plain white sugar, and water. Heated up water and sugar on the stove to dissolve the sugar; added extract and sugar to tank and more water..... hit it at 35PSI for nearly a week in the cold storage room. It took some shaking and rocking but it eventually got carbonated.

I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the flavor of Royal extracts. However, in my neck of the woods in Canada its about all I can find; shipping on anything else from amazon or whatever is just ridiculous.

The soda was a hit with the kids. I left it in the cold storage room with a picnic tap attached to 20 feet of 3/16th line. If you press the tap down all the way you got a good stream, anything less you would get foam (good to know if you want to add head).

I would do it this way again in a heartbeat but with a different flavor or extract.

Let me know if you want more detail....I'll drum up what I can.

How did you manage 20 ft of line? Wrap it around the keg?

Also, do you expect that the keg will now be shot for beer and only serve root beer out of it? I've heard the taste can be hard to get rid of.

Back