S-33 in a Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnutbrew

Reaction score
Reading brewing classic styles I see where they recommend a wheat beer yeast for a rye beer. Curious if anyone has used S-33 for something similar to what I am putting together.

I don't have the entire grain bill laid out yet but trying to shoot for around 1.056 and probably 50% Munich and 40% rye malt 10% flaked rye and small amount of cara rye. Bittering hops, probably phoenix and if any late additions just .25oz end of boil. Critique away

I don't want the yeast to dominate with any clove but peppery notes would not be bad. I will be fermenting @ 60-62F ambient as I brewed a white IPA yesterday and this will be sharing the fermentation chamber with it.

My alternative, what I have on hand, would be WB-06

Reading brewing classic styles I see where they recommend a wheat beer yeast for a rye beer. Curious if anyone has used S-33 for something similar to what I am putting together.

I don't have the entire grain bill laid out yet but trying to shoot for around 1.056 and probably 50% Munich and 40% rye malt 10% flaked rye and small amount of cara rye. Bittering hops, probably phoenix and if any late additions just .25oz end of boil. Critique away

I don't want the yeast to dominate with any clove but peppery notes would not be bad. I will be fermenting @ 60-62F ambient as I brewed a white IPA yesterday and this will be sharing the fermentation chamber with it.

My alternative, what I have on hand, would be WB-06

You won't get any clove with this yeast. While it is still listed as good in Belgian beers by some folks it is actually a British yeast. A couple of years ago I used it in a rye porter that came out pretty good.

I used S-33 in an English Ale I did one time and it had the neatest cap formation during the ferment. It looked like brain matter. It was really incredible. The ale came out well. I didn't have rye in the grain bill.

With that large a proportion of rye be prepared for a stuck/sticky mash unless you are doing BIAB.
S-33 is very neutral.

Mash was a bastard and even had 1lb rice hulls. Me and Rye have a love hate relationship for sure!

I used S-33 in an English Ale I did one time and it had the neatest cap formation during the ferment. It looked like brain matter. It was really incredible. The ale came out well. I didn't have rye in the grain bill.

After a lot of research I think I am going to save the S-33 for a simple English bitter sometime in the future. I have some EKG that needs to make their way into a brew soon else it's the compost pile for them.

I also saw a ton of bad reviews for Safbrew T-58 but it ended up attenuating to 80% (1.071 to 1.014) in a Belgian type Rye but it did have 1lb of honey in it so probably helped it a bit. I'm learning not to take every bad review to heart.

Thanks for your input, Brain matter is a good thing, wish I had more.

Back