New phones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a gadget girl at all, and use very few apps, but I am thinking of getting a new phone. There is nothing at all wrong with my iPhone 5C but I"d like to get something that has a "raise to rise" feature and takes better pictures. I don't use spreadsheets or work on my phone at all.

I can't even decide if I want an XL, because I'd like something to fit in a front jeans pocket. I live in a rural area, so I'm unlikely to be able to try out one for size in a store.

I like the size of my iPhone 5, except for the screen being small of course.

I'm used to the apple platform, but am not opposed to Android. I saw the new Pixel phones, and think maybe that would work.

I'm also thinking of an iPad mini 4- which I know is much larger than the phone.

What do you have? What's a "good deal" for what you have? I see the
Black Friday thing has Pixel for $10/month on Verizon. That's $240 for a new phone, so it could be tempting but I've never even seen one so I hate to jump on something that I know nothing at all about!

I got an iPhone SE to replace my 5S because like you I don't really want to go larger than 4". This should be a very nice update for you camera wise, it's fast and future proof. You won't get any of the newer features of iOS though so the 'new gadget' factor might disappoint. I am not really familiar with Android phones but I think it might be hard to find a recent phone below 4.7".

Despite being a life long Apple user, I do NOT like iOS myself... but as it's the devil you know, a switch to Android may just create problems for you. Android is also much less appealing if you are not already a big Google user.

That said, the pre-Pixel Nexus 5x and 6p are good Android phones that should be heavily discounted if anyone still has them in stock.

Part of the expense of the Pixel phones is their speed, including fancy 3D graphics. If that isn't important to you, you're paying for stuff you aren't using. But I guess that's true for any high end phone these days.

Because I have an inability to decide, I'm just keeping what I have I guess!

I'm with Verizon, and the days of the "free" phones are past, but they had the Pixel for "$10 per month with contract", so that's $240. The other phones are shockingly expensive (as I'm sure you all know!).

There is nothing wrong with my phone, and I've had it for three years, so I think that's why I'm so undecided. It's something I"ve had long enough that I'm comfortable with it I guess!

I recommend staying with iOS if you like the interface and have invested in Apple format files and features.

The Pixel seemed like an interesting phone, but for me it seemed kind of pricey for what it is.

I recently upgraded my phone and stuck with Motorola Android. It's most like what I am used to in the interface and features. A bit less "proprietary" than Apple products. it has Gorilla Glass screen, so it's shatterproof. Big battery. It can also take "Moto Mods", which are add-ons that attach to the back of the phone. For instance I can add a battery pack as a back cover. You can add a back that has a Camera, Projector, or Speakers as well. They aren't really that cheap, but if you have a particular use in mind (like having a decent zoom camera body, or tend to use a TON of battery), then they might be worth looking into.

If your primary concern, Yooper, is more up-to-date device that isn't too big, and takes great pictures, I'd say go with the iPhone SE or 6/6S (regular size). Unless something about the apple ecosystem isn't working out for you, or you really want to switch, I'd stick with what you know.

I agree with @Homercidal, stick with the ecosystem you have been using for some time now. If you like the size of your current phone I would say stick with the iPhone SE, it will be a big improvement from the 5c. I had the iPhone 5 for a while and wasn't sure about the size of the 6, but now having it for a while, I prefer it so much more and it's slimmer. I feel the "plus" versions are just too big.

The "free" phones from the carriers are a thing of the past. They claim they are losing too much money "subsidizing" the phones for their customers. So now we have to buy them outright or make monthly payments for usually two years but with no interest rate added on.

You can look to buy a refurbished phone from Apple now, Gazelle.com or other sites. I've even purchased a used iPhone 5 from someone on Craigslist. I asked them to send me the serial number of the phone before meeting and confirmed it qualified for the "battery recall". So I bought the phone, took it to an Apple store and they replaced the battery due to the recall. Phone worked great and had a new battery! The problem is you have to pay the full amount up front when you buy a used or a refurb'ed phone. I will have to say, I have bought a used iPad and MacBook Air from Apple and have been very happy with them. They appear to be "like new" and never had any problems with them. I will probably consider to buy an iPhone from them down the road, but that won't be for some time.

Good luck @yoopers! It sucks making these decisions some times...

After all of my waffling, I decided on the iPhone 7 plus. It IS big. That is good and bad. It won't fit easily in a pocket, at least on women's jeans. But I like it so far, and got a "clip" type of cash to clip it on my clothes to make it more convenient to carry. I do love the camera, and it takes great pictures.

After all of my waffling, I decided on the iPhone 7 plus. It IS big. That is good and bad. It won't fit easily in a pocket, at least on women's jeans. But I like it so far, and got a "clip" type of cash to clip it on my clothes to make it more convenient to carry. I do love the camera, and it takes great pictures.

Congratulations! I have the iPhone 7 and adore it. I am jealous of the dual lens camera on the iPhone 7 plus, but just couldn't get past the ginormous size. Definitely an amazing phone and camera though!

When I first bought my Samsung Note (current one is a "4"), people laughed at me for how large it is. But a funny thing happened. More and more manufacturers made large phones, and more and more people bought 'em.

It's an ideal size as a cross between a phone and a tablet. Great for texting, internet, email--even has a stylus.

My only problem has been the same as you note--carrying it. I bought a holster I hang off my belt. That's the only way to conveniently carry it and have it accessible. In my pocket I'm too afraid I'll break it if I sit down wrong.

Only thing is, you need the vertical-orientation case. The horizontal ones are too prone to catch on door jambs and other things as you pass by them.

When I first bought my Samsung Note (current one is a "4"), people laughed at me for how large it is. But a funny thing happened. More and more manufacturers made large phones, and more and more people bought 'em.

It's an ideal size as a cross between a phone and a tablet. Great for texting, internet, email--even has a stylus.

My only problem has been the same as you note--carrying it. I bought a holster I hang off my belt. That's the only way to conveniently carry it and have it accessible. In my pocket I'm too afraid I'll break it if I sit down wrong.

Only thing is, you need the vertical-orientation case. The horizontal ones are too prone to catch on door jambs and other things as you pass by them.

Lol phone holster. You could also just get a fanny pack and try to fit it in there, equally stylish.

I'll stick to phones I can fit in my pocket, and iPads when I'm at home.

If the plus size starts bothering you, take it back. You have 30 days with Verizon. They'll hit you with a $35 restocking fee.

Ask me how I know this. I recently got the PLUS, thinking my aging eyes would appreciate the bigger screen, and also because I work from home so a bigger phone shouldn't have been a problem. But I hated it. I especially disliked how the thing became a two-handed operation - the smaller sizes are operable with one hand. So, after a two-week trial period, I returned it, and I'm so happy I did.

Im only on an iphone 6s+ as I couldnt wait till the 7 came out as my phone died, not just... i can fix this (im pretty god damn tech savvy) but seriously... Fuuuuu'd up. Something critical corrupted in it to the point I couldnt even get it to reset to factory. I wasnt happy. It was just an iphone5, but it worked.

IF I hadnt had to upgrade just then (I really didnt want to get a new phone just yet, but I needed one)... I would have gone with a a pixel myself. It however wasnt even out yet. I am a poweruser of technology so I always tend to prefer the newest shiniest if it makes sense at the time.

If the plus size starts bothering you, take it back. You have 30 days with Verizon. They'll hit you with a $35 restocking fee.

Ask me how I know this. I recently got the PLUS, thinking my aging eyes would appreciate the bigger screen, and also because I work from home so a bigger phone shouldn't have been a problem. But I hated it. I especially disliked how the thing became a two-handed operation - the smaller sizes are operable with one hand. So, after a two-week trial period, I returned it, and I'm so happy I did.

I am considering that, but I really do like this phone. I'm a "no purse, no carry crap around" person so it may go back. They said it's not 30 days, that all "Christmas time" phones have until January 14. But that is long enough for me to make up my mind.

I may well end up keeping it. I wanted BOTH a small phone (I love my iPhone 5) and an iPad mini. This is sort of a compromise, as I couldn't see using the mini as much as I'd like. For instance when I'm in Italy next fall where I'd be watching for pickpockets and things I'd be less likely to enjoy lugging it around, although I would love it when in a hotel or sitting at a cafe. This phone is big enough to make me feel like it won't be a huge pain to type on (unlike the smaller 5), it will take great pictures (so no need to haul a camera), it can replace my kindle on trips, and it is easier to read for sure.

Last night at work I opened the kindle app, and found that it's not bad to read on. And the pictures! I only took a couple of my Christmas tree so far, but how nice they are. I think using that phone in Italy will be more than adequate for photos.

I am considering that, but I really do like this phone. I'm a "no purse, no carry crap around" person so it may go back. They said it's not 30 days, that all "Christmas time" phones have until January 14. But that is long enough for me to make up my mind.

I may well end up keeping it. I wanted BOTH a small phone (I love my iPhone 5) and an iPad mini. This is sort of a compromise, as I couldn't see using the mini as much as I'd like. For instance when I'm in Italy next fall where I'd be watching for pickpockets and things I'd be less likely to enjoy lugging it around, although I would love it when in a hotel or sitting at a cafe. This phone is big enough to make me feel like it won't be a huge pain to type on (unlike the smaller 5), it will take great pictures (so no need to haul a camera), it can replace my kindle on trips, and it is easier to read for sure.

Last night at work I opened the kindle app, and found that it's not bad to read on. And the pictures! I only took a couple of my Christmas tree so far, but how nice they are. I think using that phone in Italy will be more than adequate for photos.

I use an iPad mini as a Kindle reader (I never use my Kindle now). Funny, when I had that 6+ and I was talking on it, it felt like I was holding the iPad up to my ear. Also, I use the iPhone a lot for bike rides (I play podcasts, music from it). The 6+ was really too big to mount on a bike. The 6+ didn't even fit in the cupholder in my car.

I use an iPad mini as a Kindle reader (I never use my Kindle now). Funny, when I had that 6+ and I was talking on it, it felt like I was holding the iPad up to my ear. Also, I use the iPhone a lot for bike rides (I play podcasts, music from it). The 6+ was really too big to mount on a bike. The 6+ didn't even fit in the cupholder in my car.

I haven't driven around with the 7+ yet, and haven't ridden my bike (the 12 inches of snow makes it challenging!). The phone came in 2 days, but the case is slow to arrive so it'll be even bigger in the Otterbox.

I use my kindle at night, in bed and I don't think I'll ever stop doing that at home. It's so much like a "real" book, without a lit screen. Oh, it has that capability, but I use my little book light and it doesn't disturb Bob who goes to sleep about two hours before I do. But I love the ability to have the kindle app with me where I am. I read whenever I have to wait.

The best part about staying with the iPhone was the easy transfer of contacts/apps/email. I guess I felt pretty intimidated by switching over to Android.

I don't have many recommendations, except this:

if you go with an android, go pure google. This means nexus or pixel. I am not going to say one way or the other which is better, as you can argue that all day long.

I bought my wife a new Samsung S7 (non edge) and it's a fast phone, takes great pictures, etc, but I cannot stand the samsung overlay.

motorola sells a moto x pure edition that is also pure google and worth checking out.

I think the biggest thing you'll like about the bigger screen (apart from posting on HBT) is that it now is a viable option to watch Netflix wherever you are. And now that you can predownload shows (i hope you got lots of storage for those pictures and videos!), then you can have entertainment for the gym and long car rides too!! and all without using too much of your data plan!

I think the biggest thing you'll like about the bigger screen (apart from posting on HBT) is that it now is a viable option to watch Netflix wherever you are. And now that you can predownload shows (i hope you got lots of storage for those pictures and videos!), then you can have entertainment for the gym and long car rides too!! and all without using too much of your data plan!

I don't watch TV or movies, so I don't "do" Netflix or movies, but I definitely can amuse myself with HBT on long car rides!

I'm late to the game but I have been a lifelong Apple phone customer. Last one was a Iphone6+. The last two I had died right after the warranty was up.
It's too hard to get an appointment at an apple store and I really didn't like the IOS so I switched to Android.
I wanted the Google Pixel XL but there were none to be had so I opted for the Galaxy S7 Edge.
People say it's difficult moving from Apple to Android but I found it seamless.
The Google Pixel has some nice features like unlimited cloud storage and Google Assistant not to mention the reviews show its a nice phone for taking pictures.
Since you carry your phone in your pocket, the 5.1" may be better for you.
At least you have a couple more weeks to make the decision to return your IPhone or keep it.

I'm late to the game but I have been a lifelong Apple phone customer. Last one was a Iphone6+. The last two I had died right after the warranty was up.
It's too hard to get an appointment at an apple store and I really didn't like the IOS so I switched to Android.
I wanted the Google Pixel XL but there were none to be had so I opted for the Galaxy S7 Edge.
People say it's difficult moving from Apple to Android but I found it seamless.
The Google Pixel has some nice features like unlimited cloud storage and Google Assistant not to mention the reviews show its a nice phone for taking pictures.
Since you carry your phone in your pocket, the 5.1" may be better for you.
At least you have a couple more weeks to make the decision to return your IPhone or keep it.

I'm on day 1 of a Pixel, coming off of a Samsung S5. My wife got an iPhone 7. The Pixel is great so far. Kind of a cross between a Samsung phone and an iPhone. It has all the good stuff from Android, with a clean interface like an iPhone.

Came from a Nexus 5X to a pixel and now an iPhone 7+. Hands down my favorite is the pixel. Better camera and much better display. I tried them side by side with the same picture at max brightness. That pixel OLED is simply gorgeous.

I find the Android OS much preferable also. Alas I'm giving up my personal line and iPhone is my only work option. I'm not willing to pay $100/month to have my own phone at this point.

That would make you wrong, but it's a free country. Mostly.

Lol. I'm just using popular opinion. Granted typically not a great indicator given the current intellectual common denominator, but you go poll 1,000 people and see whether or not they think phone holsters are cool.

That said, be your own rainbow! If you like it, do what works! Phone choices and phone sizes are intensely personal. That's why people are so divided. I adore the iPhone, and find it vastly superior to current android offerings, but I have friends using all different phones, who make good arguments for why their phone best suits their needs.

Well, for all of you sitting around waiting to see what I decided on the iPhone 7 plus.............................

First, I loved it. The color screen, the speed, the photos it took- awesome. I loved it. It replaced my Kindle in instances where I had to unexpectedly wait, and it was a really great phone.

But I hated the size. The things I loved about it made it too big to fit in a pocket. I bought a case with a clip, thinking that might work. It sort of did, but it was still bulky and I was afraid I"d drop it out of a kayak or boat.

So I returned it.

I'm back to my old iPhone 5C, because the iPhone 7 deal with Verizon is over. I wanted to replace it with the regular iPhone 7, instead of the plus, but with the Christmas sales over, it's back to regular price and I just can't see spending that kind of money on a phone.

At least my old phone fits in my pocket(s), and that is really what made up my mind. I like having my phone with me, and often stop to take photos. I think Passedpawn was right, that the size of the iPhone 7 Plus was more of a hindrance and I found that I didn't want to lug it around.

Latest posts

Back