Dry Yeast for 13% ABV Triple IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddrods

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a Triple IPA, recipe is all grain no simple sugars original gravity will be about 1.116, batch size 19 liters. I always prefer to use dry yeasts for simplicity and ease of use but I have never attempted to ferment above 9% ABV before.

I'm thinking of pitching 2 11g packs of Safale American
DCL/Fermentis US-05 in the primary then 2 5g packs of Lalvin EC-1118
Lallemand/Lalvin in the secondry to get me up to the 13% ABV I'm looking for.

Any thoughts?

Bottle conditioning yeast like EC-1118 are not capable of fermenting complex sugars and will not help for high gravity ales. Your best bet is to co-pitch something high attenuating like Belle Saison after the krausen has subsided to finish and dry out the beer. I used it on a stuck quad with success before, and it finished quite nicely.

To be honest, a triple IPA without simple sugars to dry it out sounds like a recipe for hoppy cough syrup. I hope you know what to expect.

Cheers guys, think I'll go with the US-05 and try subbing in a pound or two of sucrose or corn sugar.

Back