Indeed Brewing pulls kits from NB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who's to say they didn't pull their kits and write that whiny diatribe just as some sort of publicity stunt to increase their own wealth. As if those guys would say no to a check with six or seven zeros placed in front of them for their Brewery. And who did they really hurt by pulling their kits? Themselves? People who like their kits? Btw, nb had already sold out to an equity firm. Anheuser-Busch inbev seeks to make money nothing more nothing less. This idea that they are an evil entity who seek to erode us all makes no sense to me. Furthermore if their price structures make breweries bring their prices down it helps me and every other consumer. Last, seems to me like they're being foolish. If I were them and I already had a leg in with Northern Brewer, I would be thrilled to sell my kits across America. I'm sure it's warm under the wing of a dragon.

Indeed is offering a recipe page for homebrewers after pulling their kits from Northern Brewer.

This alone will bring the Tyrants at ABInBev to their knees, stop their disgusting, greedy takeover plans and in the morning, all of us will feel better, look younger and get all the action we want.

Well, to each their own. But personally I don't find anything whiny about the announcement. They have an opinion about AB/InBev that is frankly shared by many in the craft beer/homebrew scene. They expressed such opinion clearly and succinctly. (Something others may want to learn how to do...). Perhaps all the use of proper punctuation comes across as whiny? But hard to see how pulling their kits from one of the largest homebrew supply shops is a tactic for them to increase their own wealth. This announcement will never have the same far reaching audience as the NB website and catalogs.

That being said, I'm likely not going to stop shopping at NB's brick and mortar stores. If a better one opened up near me, then I'd consider it. And I'll also throw in I don't think the crew at Indeed are "better people" for "sticking it to InBev" and I'm not any more inclined to drink their beer now. But I don't blame them for not wanting to be perceived as being in business with a company they believe has business practices that hurt the craft beer market.

From a business perspective, what a dumb move.
Unless "Indeed Brewing" truly have serious skin in the game and kickbacks from both Mallards Malt and Hoptimus Rex, I very much doubt they're losing very much by advertising the fact that they've pulled a pair of their recipes from NB inventory of available recipes.. "Woohoo, look what we've just done"

Simple act of "free advertising" nothing more, nothing less.. Now, if they're released all 16 brew recipes from this year to the open domain, I'd maybe feel they really were fully against the NB buyout, not just getting free advertising

View attachment IndeedMidnightRyder.pdf

Am I reading this correctly... 12 ounces of hops for a 5 gallon recipe of midnight ryder?!?!?

Boil Additions:
- 0.5 oz Willamette (First Wort - 90 min)
- 0.5 oz Glacier (30 min)
- 0.5 oz Willamette (30 min)
- 1.5 oz Cascade (20 min)
- 1.5 oz Glacier (20 min)
- 0.5 oz Willamette (20 min)
- 1 oz Apollo (10 min)
- 1 oz Columbus (10 min)
- 0.5 oz Summit (10 min)
- 0.75 oz Apollo (3 day dry hop)
Dry Hop
- 0.75 oz Cascade (3 day dry hop)
- 0.75 oz Columbus (3 day dry hop)
- 0.75 oz Glacier (3 day dry hop)
- 0.75 oz Summit (3 day dry hop)
- 0.75 oz Willamette (3 day dry hop)

This alone will bring the Tyrants at ABInBev to their knees, stop their disgusting, greedy takeover plans and in the morning, all of us will feel better, look younger and get all the action we want.

I know you're being sarcastic, but I actually do feel better hearing about this sort of thing. For now, they're acting on what they feel their customers want, even if there isn't a clear benefit to them (they may even be losing what is almost free advertising from NB).

Even if it is some kind of publicity stunt, it at least shows that they're paying attention to what their customers want, not just in the end product but also in the business itself, and they're willing to act on it.

It isn't that I hate InBev or big businesses either. I don't like the flavor of a lot of their mass produced beer, but I can appreciate that they have identified what people are willing to spend a lot of money on, and that combined with making some (probably) savvy business moves has led them to be very successful. I bet a lot of their employees are great people, too.

But in this case I'm more for competition, variety, and a small brewery that is still based out of my home state and it appears is even active in the community and charitable.

Best of luck to Indeed, and heck, best of luck to the NB employees who helped make it into something that could catch the eye of the big companies.

Maybe they're looking to rebrand their brewery... here are some suggestions:

Soap Box Brewery

High Horse Brewery

Oddly enough, googling both those names return things that might have a legit claim to those names, but I'm far from being a copyright/trademark expert.

Oddly enough, googling both those names return things that might have a legit claim to those names, but I'm far from being a copyright/trademark expert.

My other suggestion would be tinfoil hat brewery... but that seems to be taken as well!!!

Northern Brewer and Midwest Supplies merged a few years ago, didn't they?
Os the Dark Force has both of them?
Thats a shame.

Yes it's a shame, and I will no longer patronize them.

Face-You-Make-Robert-Downey-Jr.jpg

Collaborate with a more powerful competitor who uses it's financial muscle to restrict smaller brewers?

Why would they want to do that? I'm betting they didn't have much revenue stream from their recipe deal with NB. True, they won't be listed in the very fancy pages of the NB catalogue, but if someone is going to buy the recipe, they are most likely a fan of the brewery and will have checked out the website anyway.

Collaborate with a more powerful competitor who uses it's financial muscle to restrict smaller brewers?

As part of the SABMiller deal, they aren't "allowed" to do that anymore. No more distributor acquisitions, no more incentives, and no more brewery acquisitions regardless of size without antitrust commission approval first.

Which makes the NB/MWB deal make a whole lot of sense.

For years the anti-AB "crowd" nagged for restrictions. They happened. And this is the result. Anti-AB should be thrilled AB bought NB, they got what they wanted.

Who is Indeed brewing and why would anybody care what they do. It's an obvious plot to get some publicity. I kinda like AB IN/BEV muscling the price structure of the "craft brewing". I'm in DogfishHead land, 40 miles from the brewery, and their prices kept going up, they've appear to have come down recently, or at least stablized. Paying less for a 6 (or 4) pack means more money for me ..... and me likes more money for me.

Who's to say they didn't pull their kits and write that whiny diatribe just as some sort of publicity stunt to increase their own wealth. As if those guys would say no to a check with six or seven zeros placed in front of them for their Brewery. And who did they really hurt by pulling their kits? Themselves? People who like their kits? Btw, nb had already sold out to an equity firm. Anheuser-Busch inbev seeks to make money nothing more nothing less. This idea that they are an evil entity who seek to erode us all makes no sense to me. Furthermore if their price structures make breweries bring their prices down it helps me and every other consumer. Last, seems to me like they're being foolish. If I were them and I already had a leg in with Northern Brewer, I would be thrilled to sell my kits across America. I'm sure it's warm under the wing of a dragon.

Small breweries already operate on small margins. If the big guy lowers them more it means fewer will open and more of the ones that are open sell out. Once AB InBev owns a large majority of the craft breweries what is stopping them from closing them down in favor of higher profit margins selling Budweiser, instead of costly to produce stouts, porters, ipas, etc. This has already played out once. Post prohibition when only the biggest survived, it took damn near 70 years for small upstart breweries to start gaining market share again. If Ab InBev could close them all, they would.

Small breweries already operate on small margins. If the big guy lowers them more it means fewer will open and more of the ones that are open sell out. Once AB InBev owns a large majority of the craft breweries what is stopping them from closing them down in favor of higher profit margins selling Budweiser, instead of costly to produce stouts, porters, ipas, etc. This has already played out once. Post prohibition when only the biggest survived, it took damn near 70 years for small upstart breweries to start gaining market share again. If Ab InBev could close them all, they would.

But they can't close them all. Ever.

Simple business says you don't buy a business for $1B and close it to drive customers to buy Bud Light.

Let's get drunk and pretend they close every craft beer brand they bought. That's billions spent. How many of those customers will simply migrate to a new craft beer brand? How many incremental pours of Bud Light do they need to account for the lack of customer retention?

For every brand they (AB) buys, how many new crop up? Man, it's playing whack-a-mole.

If AB wants to continue buying craft for a cool bil' a pop then God bless them because they will never buy them all and the investment is so large they have no choice but to grow the segment.

Latest posts

Back