Old keg, skunky beer, bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found a 15.5 gallon keg for $50. Seller just told me that there is some skunky beer left in it. Is that going to be a problem if turning into a keggle? Will it be easy enough to clean it out sufficiently?

May want to question whether it's a legal/legitimate keg for sale more than whether the skunky beer will affect the keg (it won't)

50is way to much for a stolen keg. Look on Craigslist for cheaper........

I found a 15.5 gallon keg for $50. Seller just told me that there is some skunky beer left in it. Is that going to be a problem if turning into a keggle? Will it be easy enough to clean it out sufficiently?

It will be fine, make sure you turn it on its side before releasing the pressure and some oxyclean will take care of whatever is in there. And fill it with water when you cut the top off, it will cut down on the noise.

I'm not even going to get into morals here, they are your morals and you do what you want with them.

Back