Photos of insider of an apple scratter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT101

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've built myself an apple press, and am now in the process of building a scratter. Hasn't been very successful so far. I do want it to be hand cranked, and simple to build, as I may teach others to make them depending on how this goes. I am using simple stainless screws set into a drum, diameter about 2.5" or 65mm, and 220mm long. THe apples tend to bob along the surface and never get dragged down. Here are a few videos of my latest attempts, some with screws protruding quite high, about 8mm, and some screwed right in, about 3-4mm. But it made no difference.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjC0WJaqppI[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfCZFBkmiE4[/ame]

As soon as i stick a drill on there, it works much better, but I may not have access to electricity at community events, nor be able to transport a bicycle powered setup.

I did have a much sharper angle on the hopper before, but the apples would get stuck down the wider gap and jam, or the screws would just carve a groove out of the apple.

Wondering A), if anyone has any design tips, and B) if anyone has any photos of inside any antique / vintage apple sscratters, so I can see some original designs.

Many thanks

My tip would be to use a motor,even with a motor the apples can jam sometimes. The feed chute design is very important, Jolicoeur's book has a good explanation.

Hey...that's ME!

No way would I ever bother with a drum scratter again. My efficiency in ease of making the pomace and the amount of juice I get from it is through the roof compared to the 'traditional' style.

I saw a similar scratter made from a good quality disposal, but it was in a little bar sink as a hopper with a built in cutting board. It was that one I was thinking of when I found the link to your build.

Back