Pepto pink spots??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E_Rock

Reaction score
After switching to kegging, I started using my bottling bucket during brewing as simply a container to avoid putting things right on the driveway. For example, after racking to the fermentor, I might temporarily put my immersion chiller in it while I clean up everything else.

On my last brew day, I forgot about this bucket and left it in the garage. It got sort of shoved to the site and forgotten about. Yesterday I happened to see it in the corner and was a little aghast at what was inside. Evidently, some of the wort that had dripped off the IC had left a tasty treat for some critter or another. It was black and pink and generally covered in gunk.

I soaked the bucket for 12 hours with oxy and while the black gunk came off quite easily, the bottom of the bucket is covered in pink dots the color of pepto. I tried scrubbing and scraping, but it's not coming off. I plan on tossing the bucket since I can't get it clean, but I was curious if anyone else has seen anything like this before?

I have had pink spots appear on my bucket before (not blackened pink, just pink). I hope it's not E. coli or Salmonella lol. Mine didnt come off with a PBW soaking. I might nuke the bucket with bleach or NaOH.

After a little bit of research it seems like it could be Serratia marcesens. It likes any area that's moist pretty much.

Back