bottling a hoppy beer(big aroma)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherwicf

Reaction score
this is just a general inquiry, not something I ever really encountered but say you wanted to bottle a hoppy beer(with big aroma).

So you brew -> ferment -> dry hop -> cold crash -> bottle prime.. In the bottle priming sequence, doesn't the yeast need to be active(so at a warm temperature) so you get carbonation? But if it is at a warm temperature, wont the hop aroma disappear quickly? After how long at room temperature would you suggest before putting the beer in a fridge?

If you want the bottles to carbonate properly, then you are going to need a good 2 weeks at 70ish. Then chill. A handy hint is to bottle one in a soda bottle so you can tell easily when carbonation is complete.
Now I'm going to get on a pet peeve: We all read that hop aroma disappears quickly after bottling. Does it really happen? I say no, based on sampling my brews at 3 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, and even 3 years later- I think the hoppiness is retained. *** Steps down off soapbox***

Latest posts

Back