Wlp080 experiences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ru41285

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently brewed an oktoberfest and pitched wlp080 cream ale yeast blend because I had a good amount of slurry lying around. I kept reading how it can be clean and crisp (aka lagerish) so I figured, why not.

Anyway, I've been cold conditioning for a few days and sampled it last night and it is a really good beer, but has an almost creamy taste to it. Sounds ridiculous to think I should be shocked by that since it's a cream ale yeast, but I was caught a but off guard. It tastes a little similar to the spotted cow clone of previously used it for.

So my question is if anyone else has this experience with wlp080? Will it crisp up a bit more with continued "lagering" and conditioning or will that creamy taste stay?

Thanks a lot.

Also forgot to mention that it was not kegged and flat when I sampled, if you think that would have an effect.

Cream ales aren't "creamy". They are the ale version of a lighter crisp lager. You are probably tasting suspended yeast or maybe even diacetyl. I would do a prolonged D rest and then cold crash for a few days.

I love this yeast and have made about a half dozen cream ales with it. I find it very crisp as it usually finishes a 1.050+ wort below 1.010. It also has given me some of the clearest brews I have made.

I think time is your friend here. Let it condition a month or so and it should be at it's peak quality or close to it.

Back