1 gallon extract honey pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knight420

Reaction score
I'm brewing a 1 gallon honey pilsner tomorrow with willamette hops and 1 pound of pilsner malt with half a pound of honey and some Belgian Munich steeping grains, does any one know if that's to much honey for a 1 gallon batch and since honey is almost 100% fermentable than how much honey flavor will I have? Should I also add some honey to the primary and bottling solution and if that's a good idea how should I add to fermentor I've heard honey is immune to bacteria and that's one reason it doesn't expire so do I still need to boil it before adding to the fermentor?! Any advice is greatly appreciated as always! I'm thinking of adding a small amount of citra hops at the flame out for a little extra citrus aroma I have a unopened 4 gram bag of it left over from another 1 gallon kit, this isn't a kit but I did base some of the ingredients off of one anyway if anyone has brewed something like this I would like your input thanks!

I would recommend adding honey malt to your recipe, as honey is 100% fermentable, it's going to thin out your beer and kick up the ABV while imparting little, if any honey flavour. If you must use honey, add it with as little heat as possible.

I would recommend adding honey malt to your recipe, as honey is 100% fermentable, it's going to thin out your beer and kick up the ABV while imparting little, if any honey flavour. If you must use honey, add it with as little heat as possible.
Thanks I'll try that next time, how fast do you think this will ferment? It's just one gallon and I used rehydrated US-05 yeast, it fermented so vigorously for a day or two I had to use blowoff tube now it has airlock on it and the cap of foam has gone down but it still shows some activity, how long should I let it ferment?!

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

Looks like you had a nice fermentation!

Definitely let it go at least 2 weeks then check gravity. Cold crash only if you're satisfied it is done.

Honey is a nice addition to a beer, but that might have been too much. The specialty grains probably help to make it less thin, but it might taste kind of thin and alcoholic.

Looks like you had a nice fermentation!

Definitely let it go at least 2 weeks then check gravity. Cold crash only if you're satisfied it is done.

Honey is a nice addition to a beer, but that might have been too much. The specialty grains probably help to make it less thin, but it might taste kind of thin and alcoholic.
I didn't add any honey to the fermentor and I'm not gonna use it when I bottle so hopefully I'll just have a good pilsner with a hint of honey. I usd a pound and a half of pilsner malt dry extract so it's not all honey! And I used only half a cup of honey so not half a pound like I thought I was gonna use.

Oh it was extract. I thought it was grain. That will be a little higher alcohol, but if you did late hops, I think it will be good.

Back