1st beer back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slym2none

"Lazy extract brewer."
Reaction score
I have been on an insect-forced hiatus from brewing, as ants took over where I am living this summer. They are receding and once it cools off, they will be back to whatever dormancy they go through in the winter. I think my last brew was late April or early May, so I am thinking of making a stout, using mostly DME and a partial-grain setup for the specialty malts. Just to get my feet wet before going AG again.

Or should I saddle up and just go AG from the get-go? I have a good recipe (award-winner using extract) but can always convert it over to AG.

Decisions, decisions... I have a few weeks, luckily. (???)

All grain. If you have the capacity for all grain, no reason to do anything else for the purpose of getting your feet wet.

And stock up on those Terro ant baits. They work like a charm!

if your comfortable with it do the all grain, The taste and the price is better.:mug:

Welcome back! I also just brewed my first beer since last March... Woohoo for us!

I'd go all grain if you can. Cost of grain vs extract is cheaper and, imo, all grain is just more fun. :ban:

FTR - I was AG before, I was just thinking since I haven't brewed in a while & I have a good extract recipe, maybe... anyway, thanks for the answers.

And stock up on those Terro ant baits. They work like a charm!

So far, they aren't doing much. I must have a LOT more ants than I thought, as I put drops on the paper twice a day, and have for about a week.

Ants? Ants kept you from brewing?

Are they 3 inches long or something?

No, but last time, a few hundred decided my beer was a good source of food, and most drowned in it. I had to dump it, and I am not dumping another batch. They abate when it cools off, so I just have to wait a few more weeks.

my 2 cents is to go AG, since getting your feet-wet with a different process (extract v AG) isn't as helpful as just trying the AG, the batch might suffer some but if you go extract and don't have those pitfalls you'll likely still have them on your first AG batch right? who knows. That said if you like the Extract recipe just do both
:mug:
Also obligatory:
xjuDL6W.gif

No, but last time, a few hundred decided my beer was a good source of food, and most drowned in it. I had to dump it, and I am not dumping another batch. They abate when it cools off, so I just have to wait a few more weeks.

How did they get into a sealed fermenter?

First - go all grain for sure! :rockin:

Second - After dealing with what I can only describe as a "national geographic" level of ants on our property, and then an insane flea infestation, that diatomaceous earth is your best friend. Perfectly harmless to humans and pets (you can even eat), slow & painful death for insects.

How did they get into a sealed fermenter?

You are assuming things. I use the Mr. Beer LBK to make 2.5G batches. It isn't exactly sealed. I can only say, I brewed all last summer like this and had no problems, but since I am having a problem this year, I decided to wait them out & try poison in the meantime.

Back