2 yr old White Labs WLP200 Vial in Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorforty

Reaction score
hey guys, so for one reason or another I have a vial of White Labs WLP200 (Best of Both Worlds) that I never used. It's been in the fridge since Nov 2014, and clearly is marked "best before 1/22/15".

I am brewing in a few weeks and was considering seeing if it is viable at all...is it a waste of time?

I was planning on doing a starter with .5l of 1.040 wort and stepping it up from there, assuming it is still viable at all.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ron

I've had great luck "reviving" old yeasts. Stick it on a stir plate and make a large starter - be prepared to wait a few days (like 5 or more). No activity after 7 toss it or let the experiment ride...

I'm not an expert but you might want to start a little smaller. 1.020-1.030. Then step up. Whatever is left, if anything, will be in a fragile state so I would think that you would want to wake it up gently.

Like I said though, I'm no expert.

That being said, I think it's worth a try. You should probably have a backup plan.

Back