Austin Homebrew Pumking Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcodd87

Reaction score
It's that time of year and I was in the mood for a good pumpkin beer this fall. I found that Austin Homebrew had a Southern Tier Pumking clone and decided to order.

I searched these forums as well as online and couldn't find any info on the quality of this kit. There's also no reviews on their website either sooo I decided to take the plunge.

I'm expecting the kit within the week and plan on brewing next weekend. I'm hoping to keep this updated and provide a thorough review once it's done.

Hopefully I can give enough info to allow a fellow home brewer to make an informed decision purchasing this kit in the future.

See you soon!

Looking forward to your review. Trying to find some new fall beers to brew.

The kit arrived and wow does it smell delicious.

12oz - Crystal 150L
10lbs - Extra pale extract
1Lb - Panela (type of sugar)
1/2 oz - Magnum
1oz - Sterling
Pumking spices - 1tsp cinnamon / 1tsp nutmeg/ 1tsp all spice / 1 top whole clove

Came with Windsor dry yeast
Whirlfloc tablet
BrewVint yeast fuel

Last but not least is 1oz vanilla extract powder added after fermentation.

The kit arrived and wow does it smell delicious.

12oz - Crystal 150L
10lbs - Extra pale extract
1Lb - Panela (type of sugar)
1/2 oz - Magnum
1oz - Sterling
Pumking spices - 1tsp cinnamon / 1tsp nutmeg/ 1tsp all spice / 1 top whole clove

Came with Windsor dry yeast
Whirlfloc tablet
BrewVint yeast fuel

Last but not least is 1oz vanilla extract powder added after fermentation.

That's a lot of spice, do they say to use all of it?

I brewed this yesterday Sept 2 2016.

My big oops moment came when I realized that I forgot to pick up pumpkin. I decided to brew it anyways.

Pretty straight forward brew. Very easy recipe to follow. It called for a starting gravity of 1.079. My gravity read approx 1.084.

I finished the recipe around 1 o'clock Friday. As of 3 am Saturday morning there's signs of fermentation. Pretty crazy being I've never seen something start so fast.

I'm going to allow it to set in the primary for 2-3 weeks and transfer to secondary for an outer 2 weeks.

The recipe guidelines call for the beer to sit for up to 4 weeks after fermentation for optimal taste.

I will update once I transfer to Secondary.

Back