Wisconsin Western Wisconsin Brewery/Brewpub Recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We want to do a 3 day (ish) road trip next month. I am familiar with Milwaukee area brewing "things" but we are thinking about going a bit west and going to places like Pearl Street.

Do you have any recommendations for breweries/brewpubs/beer bars and food for the western third of the state? We'd like to spend the days doing active things like hiking around, and evenings drinking great beer and having a bar food dinner.

We'd also like a farmer's market on Saturday morning (or any other morning), or other local things.

Any help is appreciated!

I have got to believe, Yooper, that you would want to head through Potosi and the National Brewery Museum.

Potosi was a going concern until the early 70s when it finally bit the dust. The brewery sat, unusued and unloved, until the 2000s when a revitalization effort was made to restore it. It now houses the Museum as well as the taproom/restaurant. They have about....oh, 16 or so brews on tap at any time, and virtually all are Potosi products.

The Museum/Brewery are not-for-profit enterprises; yet, the beer is quite good, depending on what you like. The Museum has a ton of old advertising and such; it's like walking into a time warp.

The revitalized Potosi Brewing originally contracted out their brewing, but a new brewery has been built on site. Very nice.

From Potosi you can head about a mile east and out to the point, where you are up close and personal with the Mississippi. Then up the River Road to LaCrosse where you can find a number of Craft outlets.

Seems to me that every craft brewer, sooner or later, should make it to Potosi. It's the Mecca for homebrewers.

Depending on the time of the fall, the drive up the River Road is stunningly gorgeous. There are neat little towns all the way up--Prairie du Chien (there's a Cabela's there), Lynxville, Ferryville, and a bunch more. If you make it up to Ferryville, Lansing IA is just across the river via 82; in Lansing is an old-time variety store called Horsfalls; if you want to spend an hour or two heading back in time, that's the place. Old and new, it's the old traditional variety store. It's a nice day trip from here (Platteville), and worth the stop.

Madison has a pile of breweries. Seems like a new one pops up each month. Mostly good but family makes it hard for me to get out much.

West of Madison is great for small stream trout fishing but lacking in infrastructure (for better or worse). Probably a bunch of small B&Bs around if that's your thing. Nice state parks for hiking and what not.

Botham Vineyard is a good time. They are doing cold hardy grape wines well, I don't recall any of them having the classic foxy flavor that I get with some of the Foch grape wines.

We had a good time at potosi brewing but didn't get into the museum due to small children.

If you ever find yourself in Monroe you need to grab a beer and a cheese sandwich at Baumgartners. The place is hard to describe but I like to call it a cheese tavern. And buy some aged cheddar to go.

we're skipping Madison (and New Glarus) this trip, so it's on the list for next time.

Right now we're thinking Eau Claire, after a stop in Wausau for one day/night to stock up at the Asian markets and some beer. So Eau Claire, and one other stop north of there on the way home.

We may stop in Plover at O'so for a bit, or Steven's Point for lunch, and there are a few cheese stops to make as well.

we're skipping Madison (and New Glarus) this trip, so it's on the list for next time.

Right now we're thinking Eau Claire, after a stop in Wausau for one day/night to stock up at the Asian markets and some beer. So Eau Claire, and one other stop north of there on the way home.

We may stop in Plover at O'so for a bit, or Steven's Point for lunch, and there are a few cheese stops to make as well.

When the time comes, a stop at Ale Asylum in Madison would seem obligatory. :)

Lots of craft breweries in the southern part of Wisconsin. But they'll still be here. :)

When the time comes, a stop at Ale Asylum in Madison would seem obligatory. :)

Lots of craft breweries in the southern part of Wisconsin. But they'll still be here. :)

I love Ale Asylum! There are others I like as well, and we will definitely too it "next time" again.

There was one I remember from my last trip that I enjoyed, Karben4 or something like that. And some that I saw/met at Great Taste a couple of years ago that I hope are still there and I'd like to visit.

We decided to go Wausau/Eau Claire on this trip and only for 3 days.

Red Eye in Wausau is great. We stop there for lunch whenever we're headed to Minnesota. Killer food and solid beer.

Ooooh, good! We were thinking of a stop there, but I haven't heard anything about it and wasn't sure.

We will definitely plan it- thank you!

I haven't been to Great Dane in a long time, and I don't know of any other brewpubs in the area.

We also like a couple of the Asian markets there, and the Wednesday Farmer's Market, so we may leave here on a Tuesday or Wednesday morning and make that our first stop. That's a short road trip, but it may be a good place to hang out anyway.

Dave's Brew Farm is near Eau Claire. I've never been there, but it sounds like a fun visit. They have limited hours, so check with them first.

Was coming on to say Pearl st (La Crosse) and Potosi both. However this thread is giving me places to stop on future trips! We're heading up to Door County, Oshkosh, Appleton etc soon....

It's touristy, but the Dells are kinda cool - probably not too crowded now. Plenty of hiking and you can take a tour in one of those WWII amphibious vehicles so you can see it from the road and from the river.

Depending on when you're going, La Crosse has a legendary Oktoberfest party.

EDIT: No Madison or New Glarus.[emoji15]

Oh and La Crosse has Turtle Stack downtown now, we stop there occasionally for flights to taste their latest styles, which are always changing.

If you're by Wausau, you're a short drive to Central Waters Brewing in Amherst. Worth the trip!

And in Eau Claire, Brewing Projekt has some very good beers, especially the Gunpowder IPA.

If you're by Wausau, you're a short drive to Central Waters Brewing in Amherst. Worth the trip!

And in Eau Claire, Brewing Projekt has some very good beers, especially the Gunpowder IPA.

Where is Brewing Projekt? I've never heard of it!

Central Waters is a "been there" thing, but we could make a stop since we're going to find a cheese/sausage place in that area. Thanks!

I only heard of it because it was on tap at the Holiday Inn when I was there for work. I haven't been to the brewery itself, but I think it's in the downtown area.

Haven't made it to Red Eye in Wausau, but we have gone to Bull Falls Brewery (just a couple of miles away) a couple of times. They just have a small tap room but are fine if you want to bring food in or order in from somewhere (they even had some local menus to choose from) In fact, last year for Dad's 70th, that's what we did. A Subway platter, some things from home and several flights of their beers! We got him a growler and now he goes there occasionally to try a new style and take home his favorite (usual) beer.

I just remembered! There's a neat place in Eau Claire called The Coffee Grounds (4212 Southtowne Drive). It's a combo cafe/fancy grocery store/craft beer shop. They have a killer selection. Definitely worth a stop for morning coffee, and to grab some bottles as well as some nice cheese and frozen lamb/beef/whatever from local farms.

Dave's BrewFarm. It's a ways west of Eau Claire (about 1/2 way to the Twin Cities), so not sure if that's out of your way.

Maybe, maybe not. We have no real agenda, just to get home when we want. Our dog is ailing, and right now he's doing ok and my daughter is comfortable with taking care of him as long as he's ok and stable.

We're looking at Sept 14-16 for our trip. There are Farmer's Markets on Wed in Wausau and Thursday in Eau Claire, plus a couple of cheap cheese factories we like. We also want to stop at some of the Asian (Hmong) stores and restaurants. Otherwise, we have no real plans except to buy beer and drink beer.

We'll be staying in a place in Wausau walking distance to Red Eye, but a short drive to Bull Falls (so there first!). There doesn't seem to be any motels close to where want to go in Eau Claire, so that will mean taking some beers back to our motel, but there is a good Hmong restaurant we want to go to that isn't far. We may go to Lazy Monk and Firehall in Eau Claire.

You'll be just an hour drive from St. Paul. Lots of great breweries there. Also, a few good ones in Stillwater, including Lift Bridge and Maple Island. And Smalley's Caribbean BBQ in Stillwater for some good jerk chicken.

Sand Creek in Black River Falls has a number of good beers. I recommend the Oscar's Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. It's a 2000 World Cup winner.

In Eau Claire there is the Brewing Projekt, Lazy Monk (those two are within 2 or 3 blocks of each other downtown) K Point Brewing (which is in with the Coffee Grounds). In Chippewa Falls there is the Chippewa River Distillery and Brewster Brothers Brewing. Great stop for both good beers and spirits. Lucette Brewing in Menomonie is also a good stop. If you're in LaCrosse there is a great little brewery in Goodview, MN called Wenonah brewing, just across the river. Interested in doing a wine stop I'd recommend Elmaro Winery in Trempealeau. I've had to be carried off their patio after enjoying too much Elmaro Rosa... I live in the Eau Claire area and did live in the LaCrosse area for a few years so I'm very familiar with both so I can help if needed. Depending on how it works with your travel plans our homebrew club's meeting is Sept 11th at 4 at K Point Brewing in Eau Claire and you'd be more than welcome to join! There's also a beer fest in Eau Claire on 9/10 called Hops for Hockey you could go to.

Gonna have to take some notes here, before we head out after Labor day on our Wisconsin trip....I was thinking of bringing some of our homebrew but not sure that's going to be necessary :mug:

If you can make it across the Iowa border, go to Toppling Goliath and Pulpit rock, they are both in Decorah. Toppling Goliath has outstanding reviews on most of the beer rating websites and apps.

If you can make it across the Iowa border, go to Toppling Goliath and Pulpit rock, they are both in Decorah. Toppling Goliath has outstanding reviews on most of the beer rating websites and apps.

Oh, that's a great idea! We can't do that this trip (I can't even convince him to go to Red Wing or Minneapolis), but I"m dying to go to Toppling Goliath. I have that down for "next time" for sure!

Ok, so you have the opportunity to accomplish my dream trip (this is the trip I will start from Madison when my kids get older and I feel less guilty about leaving them with my parents):

Day 1:

1. Leave the UP for Amherst, WI (I assume the UP is where you're starting)

2. Visit Central Waters Brewing in Amherst. They just produced a Belgian Quad that is supposed to be amazing.

3. Travel from Amherst to Plover and visit O'so Brewing. Drink The Nitro Hop Whoopin'.

4. Visit Point Brewery in Stevens Point, WI. Stay the night in Steven's Point.

Day 2:

1. Wake up and reassure yourself you didn't say anything too stupid the night prior. Check outgoing texts and make sure you didn't tell anyone how you actually felt.

2. Get a coffee (Starbucks or other) and fight hunger for the 1.75 hr drive to Osseo, WI. Eat breakfast/brunch at Norske Nook in Osseo. Grab Pie for the road; it's expensive but worth it. Plan on returning the pie tin for the deposit but know deep down that you're going to keep it.

3. Proceed south to Black River Falls and visit the Sand Creek Brewery which also brews Furthermore. Furthermore's "Fatty Boomblatty", "Knot Stock" and "Viking Afternoon" are amazing beers. Sand Creek makes great porter and oatmeal stout.

4. Drive to Eau Claire and check out the establishments previously mentioned. Say hi to Bon Iver of you see them.

Day 3:

1. Spend the morning in Eau Claire eating at "the Nucleus", then head west to River Falls, WI and visit Rush River Brewery. From there you can RTB to the UP or extend the trip a day into the cities.

*Standard caveat that, if you don't have a chauffeur or other DD, the driving in between in this plan may not happen.*

**If you make it all the way down to Wisconsin Dells, Port Huron Brewery is great.**

***Let me know if you make it down here to Madison, I'll give you my latest circuit.***

Prost,
Ben

I have to second O'so and Central Waters if you are headed that way. I've had great times at both. You can also detour to Tyranena, though that would be best saved for a trip to Madison.

Feel free to pm me when you do Madison/Mt Horeb/New Glarus. I have a lot more info on those areas.

Cheers!

Back