How long should I leave my beer in the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOpassDAmike

Reaction score
I made a 2.5 gallon batch of an ipa (OG: 1.072) on Friday night. I used a wyeast smack pack that was 9 months old so I created a yeast starter 4 days in advance. The yeast starter picked up in a couple of days. I decanted the yeast starter and pitched it into my 70 degree wort Friday night. Fermentation started in about 2 hours after pitching the yeast and my fermentation temperature was 70-72 degrees throughout the primary fermentation process. It has been less than 48 hours and my beer fermented out completely. I want to dry hop my ipa and I usually dry hop my beer for only 2-3 days. I would also like to dry hop sooner than later because the of more CO2 left in my fermenter now as compared to in 5 days from now (I want to limit as much oxygen exposure as possible). The only problem is I go out of town on Wednesday and won't be back in town until the beginning of next week. Would dry hopping today and then bottling on Wednesday before I go out of town be too short of time for a beer to sit in a fermenter? If I did this, my beer would have only been in the primary fermenter for 5.5 days. Would this not be enough time for the yeast to clean up after itself? Would I just be better off dry hopping for 9 days and then bottling at the 2 week mark to give the beer more time to clean up after itself?

I would not think that it is totally done yet. You may be at FG but it is accepted that the yeast will use a few more days to clean up off flavors that are naturally produced during fermentation. I also think you will get better results if you dry hop longer. 5-7 days. So I would wait to do the dry hop when you return.

My minimum with dry hopping would be 10 days primary and 5 days dry hop. My usual is 14 days primary then 5 to 7 days dry hop. Unless I get lazy then it is longer.

Yes, 14 days in primary seems to be a good number for me too. Sometimes less, but by the 14th day, it's usually all finished up. Safer to wait.

Usually go 3-4 week in primary w/out looking at it til I'm ready to bottle.

Dry hop for at least 5 days and sometimes I cold crash after that.

No rush to bottle.

Back