Multiple Pumps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruizer8

Reaction score
I am working on setting up an eBIAB system so I can brew indoors during the winter. I ordered a DIY control panel kit from Auber and it has controls and outlets for 2 pumps.

It makes sense to have one to recirculate the wort, but what would you need the second one for? The label that they give is for a water pump and since it is there, I wouldn't mind finding a use for it.

View attachment 1470970923781.jpg

You could keep one pump sanitary and only use it post boil so you avoid having to sanitize your wort recirc pump mid brew.

I have a single tier 3 vessel HERMS, so it's different but I use one pump for recirculation and to move wort, and the other pump strictly for water. I move water into the MLT from the HLT, and then sparge water flows through that pump.

Before I did that, I unplugged one of the pumps and used that switch for one of my fans, and it was great on hot days. I just had the fan sitting on the stand blowing right at me.

I am working on setting up an eBIAB system so I can brew indoors during the winter. I ordered a DIY control panel kit from Auber and it has controls and outlets for 2 pumps.

It makes sense to have one to recirculate the wort, but what would you need the second one for? The label that they give is for a water pump and since it is there, I wouldn't mind finding a use for it.

from Auber site, "One for hot water circulation and the other one for chiller."

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=55&products_id=594

I have a two pump system as well. One only moves water, the other only move wort. I clean the heck out of the wort pump (disassemble every brew) but the water, not so much. I highly recommend doing it this way. Cheers!

I guess I should have read the description a little closer. I was just thinking you would just use one pump for both purposes and use quick connect hoses.

You can do that, but from my experience you will find that to be suboptimal. Whenever you take a hose off, you are going to have liquid in it and some of it will drip on your floor, etc. I find that it is best if I don't have to move any hoses. I also found it better to separate wort and water for a number of reasons. Best of luck with that setup...looks great!

Back