iamjk123's million question kegerator thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamjk123

Reaction score
I just purchased a kegerator that is in ROUGH shape. The only thing it had going for it was that it got cold. I cant believe anyone would keep one of these things outside in the elements, but I plan on giving her a new life in the comfort of my living room :D. I am really new at this stuff so I could really use you gurus' help.

The machine is a Beverage-air BM23. It has 3 taps so I am assuming the previous owner added the third one.

So without further ado...

1. I have this mess and I would like to replace all the lines. Any suggestions on what sizes to get, where to get them on the cheap, and maybe an idea on how put it all back together? The c02 was on 2 plastic splitters, which I assume can't be the best way to do that?

2. Does that c02 filter have a filter inside that needs to be replaced?

3. What are these:

4. This disgustingness was in the drip pan on the bottom which I pulled out and cleaned:

What is it and where do i get a replacement?

5. This is just chilling in the inside? I assume it is to cool the tower but I see nothing to hook it to. Can I replace the tubing (since I have tried cleaning to no luck)?

6. After vigorous scrubbing with wd-40 and a wire brush this is as far as I have gotten with this rust. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting rid of it? Or maybe even a paint for inside a refrigerator that I can paint over it? (long shot)

7. This insulation (feels like a thin pool noode) was in the tower, what can I replace it with?

8. Can you tell what size this is? And what does it hook up to?

9. This the ball from inside the tap, is it saveable? Any suggestions on cleaning it? I soaked all the parts in sanitizer solution over night hoping it would loosen up the gunk but it really didn't help.

( I have 2 tap rebuild kits that came with the purchase but its just rubber washers)

10. More rust I would like to get rid of, suggestions make me happy:

11. There are a few parts in the insulation that are corroded where screws may need to sit. Could I fill them with spray foam?

1,000,000. How big of an idiot am I for spending 140 bucks on this? Atleast it came with 2 kegs.

Thanks guys, look forward to hearing from you

1. I have this mess and I would like to replace all the lines. Any suggestions on what sizes to get, where to get them on the cheap, and maybe an idea on how put it all back together? The c02 was on 2 plastic splitters, which I assume can't be the best way to do that?

2. Does that c02 filter have a filter inside that needs to be replaced?

3. What are these:

4. This disgustingness was in the drip pan on the bottom which I pulled out and cleaned: What is it and where do i get a replacement?

5. This is just chilling in the inside? I assume it is to cool the tower but I see nothing to hook it to. Can I replace the tubing (since I have tried cleaning to no luck)?

6. After vigorous scrubbing with wd-40 and a wire brush this is as far as I have gotten with this rust. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting rid of it? Or maybe even a paint for inside a refrigerator that I can paint over it? (long shot)

7. This insulation (feels like a thin pool noode) was in the tower, what can I replace it with?

8. Can you tell what size this is? And what does it hook up to?

9. This the ball from inside the tap, is it saveable? Any suggestions on cleaning it? I soaked all the parts in sanitizer solution over night hoping it would loosen up the gunk but it really didn't help. ( I have 2 tap rebuild kits that came with the purchase but its just rubber washers)

10. More rust I would like to get rid of, suggestions make me happy:

11. There are a few parts in the insulation that are corroded where screws may need to sit. Could I fill them with spray foam?

1.) You need to read up on kegging.
2.) Maybe, does that filter have a brand name and model number?
3.) Not sure. Could be tap handle weighted inserts or faucet parts.
4.) Drain pan wicks.
5.) Looks like vacuum hose. You could also find parts from an appliance website.
6.) Rustoleum, or phosphoric acid.
7.) Insulation. Could try cheap crap from Lowes or source the original from an appliance parts website.
8.) Looks like a stem nut. Hooks up to the back of a faucet shank.
9.) PBW.
10.) See above.
11.) Sure.

Welp, some how between intense cleaning and moving, the kegerator no longer gets cold.
Really a bummer because we worked our asses off cleaning it up and sealing it up.

Any chance someone can help me troubleshoot the problem?

Oh man that sucks! If the compressor runs it may now be low on refrigerant and you'll need a professional to help you.

If you get it working again you can use Por15 paint, it's a 2 part paint that is designed to go over rust.

Oh man that sucks! If the compressor runs it may now be low on refrigerant and you'll need a professional to help you.

If you get it working again you can use Por15 paint, it's a 2 part paint that is designed to go over rust.

I had some success on the rust with some naval jelly.

Thats silicone on top, but the jelly did some work to one of the worst rust ive ever seen. I would reccommend it to anybody.

As far as the repair goes, i ordered a 3 in 1 compressor hot start kit. We shall see, ill keep you guys in the loop lol. Cross your fingers for us because if the compressor is done, this project is done and my pride will be forever lost

Back