IPA regression

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Made my first all grain batch...an american IPA. It was the best beer I've ever made. After a week in the bottle it was outstanding. After two weeks it was phenomenal. Around the 4 week mark it started to go down hill fast. It is now a completely different beer and its pretty bad.

I expected it to lose some fresh hop aroma, not to completely crash. Anyone have this issue?

Made my first all grain batch...an american IPA. It was the best beer I've ever made. After a week in the bottle it was outstanding. After two weeks it was phenomenal. Around the 4 week mark it started to go down hill fast. It is now a completely different beer and its pretty bad.

I expected it to lose some fresh hop aroma, not to completely crash. Anyone have this issue?

In addition to loss of hop aroma (should last ~3-6 weeks or so) could be oxidation or slow-working contamination. My bet is on oxidation. It's hard to completely avoid especially with bottling.

How did you still have beer left at 4 weeks? :D
IME three weeks is about the peak for bottle-carbed IPA even under the best of circumstances; I notice mine dropping daily in aroma and deliciousness after that point, even with massive dry hopping. If you can't get rid of all your beers within that time span, move the bottles to the fridge when you think they're prime and the hop flavors will degrade more slowly.

I don't want to say "definitely", but it definitely sounds like oxidation. there are many steps you can take to limit it, but the best is to switch to kegs. how are you carbing the bottles and when are you dry hopping?

Did you cold crash?

Back