Dirty Water Brown Ale for competition...what category?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokebucket

Reaction score
I have the local home brew competition coming up in which I enter whatever I have on hand at the time...this year it is aforementioned beer. So those that have brewed this, would this stand up to American Brown, or is it not hoppy enough for competition? Mind you, my visualization of American brown entries is 25 different takes on Janet's and Arrogant Bastard, which is probably totally wrong.

If not this, then Northern English Brown? Too hoppy for that?

Would love to hear from anybody that has put this recipe into a competition before to see what feedback they got.

PS, I love love love this beer and would never change a thing about it. I am just thinking about the best way to enter it into competition. It is also already brewed.

In case anybody gives a damn, I entered it as an American Brown. Results should be available Saturday.

Also, if anybody searching this beer in the future and comes across this post, it makes a great beer.

Yes, it's listed as an American Brown.
Let us know how you fare on Saturday. Good luck!

Took 2nd place (18 entries). Overall score was 38. Here are some of the comments from the judges (paraphrased), regarding how this recipe meshes up with the style. Note, i purposely left out any comments on execution of the recipe, whether good or bad:

-Aroma: Caramel, fruit, low citrus...roast as it warms; Raisin esters

-Appearance: dark brown, tan head

-Flavor: Citrussy hops and caramel; Med-high bitterness, with low roast in the background. Strong caramel, mild sweetness, some bittering very mild citrus hop flavors.

-Mouthfeel: Medium full body, creamy, light resiny

-Overall: Concensus was very drinkable. One judge said more citrus hops would put this over 40 points. (maybe worth dry hopping)

Conculsion: I am very happy with this beer, and will enjoy the last couple pints even more, having been well received by those with better pallets than mine. My fears of this beer getting overpowered in the category were unfounded. I hope this info is helpful to someone in the future.

brown ale.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back