Help! What do I brew on Saturday???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanryates

Reaction score
OK Folks - it's independence day weekend. I have a 4 liter starter of pacman on the stirplate, a large grain inventory, and no idea what I should brew this weekend.

As pacman is a very versatile yeast for american styles I know I have a few options. I need as many HBT hero's as possible to weigh in and name the style of beer that should be brewed. My beer is in your hands. :mug:

the-thinker-and-beer.png

whatcha got on tap/bottled?
what do you like? malt forward? super hoppy? high gravity? sessionable?
I brew & drink mostly pale ales & lagers in the summer so fixing to bottle a Helles lager & just finished fermenting a MO EKG smash (British blonde) & about to pour myself a hefeweizen.

Uncle Sams Barleywine
14 lb Murican 2-row
2 lb Munich
1 lb crystal 60
.5 lb Victory
.25 lb choc malt

mash 149 90 min
hops:
1 oz simcoe 60 min
1 oz cascade 60 min
1 oz simcoe 10 min
1 oz cascade 10 min

whatcha got on tap/bottled?
what do you like? malt forward? super hoppy? high gravity? sessionable?
I brew & drink mostly pale ales & lagers in the summer so fixing to bottle a Helles lager & just finished fermenting a MO EKG smash (British blonde) & about to pour myself a hefeweizen.

So, on tap I have an amarillo/mosaic IPA, Mexican Lager (modelo), ESB, and pomegranate apple cider (for the GF crowd). In terms of preference I tend to prefer a more sessionable beer in the summertime.

Saisons, wheat's & pale ales are always welcome. Besides having lagers & pilsners ready. Hybrid lagers are quicker. I'm going to brew the Mumme', a gruit ale tomorrow finally.

4th of July beer with Victory malt and Liberty hops.

Bonus if you make it with Maris Otter or Fawcet Optic - you know, start with something British and turn it into something 'Murican.

4th of July beer with Victory malt and Liberty hops.

Bonus if you make it with Maris Otter or Fawcet Optic - you know, start with something British and turn it into something 'Murican.

Jon -

I like where you're going with this. I do have a fresh sack of floor malted Maris ready to go. I will build off of traditional British malt backbone including maris otter and victory. Hop with warrior, liberty, and centennial. Rogue yeast to ferment.

Here's the draft recipe. Any other thoughts / input?

14 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
5 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
4.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min
1.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min
Pacman (Rogue) Yeast - 4l starter (decanted)

60 min mash @ 152
60 min boil
15 whirlpool / hopstand

Anything American such as west coast APA/IPA. I am making my house IPA from my own recipe.

My next several efforts will be to replenish my 4 'house brews'. Didnt realize until recently that I was very low on them.

Well, while I was digging through case boxes under the bottling table for empties, I found one lone bottle of my PM Irish red! Got some of my Queen Anne's Revenge whiskely stout...& one last bottle of Shiner's Prickly Pear. Wife & a couple of the boys goin' shoppin' at the meat market for the 4th. Got some salted caramel coffee & cigs after 2 weeks of nothin' to celebrate my infected leg finally pronounced healed today! I can finally call the surgeon to check my blood clots to get my new ball joint on the left side...:rockin:

Brew session went as planned - hit all my numbers. Pitched a 4l starter of rogue pacman yeast which has had a very slow start. Per recommendations from other and Rogue I set my temp lower (62 degrees) than I typically do for ales. Supposedly Pacman can Ferment down to 60 degrees. After 2 days fermentation was active but slow. I raised the temp to 64 last night to see if it kicks the yeast into a more active mode.

Thoughts?

Back