DMaDM Red IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
So now that I'm buying everything in bulk I wanted to whip up an IPA from mostly bulk ingredients I have purchased. I made the beer below and it was amazing. This is a Double Malt and Double Hop IPA. Very easy to make. Very delicious as well. Beautiful color! I made this for a game night we had. The poor keg didn't survive the night! Everyone loved it including people who don't normally drink beer, people who hate IPAs, several women, etc. Next time I'm going to have to make a double batch.

DMADH IPA
American IPA (14 B)Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.98 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 5.98 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.00 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Grain Bill:
11 lbs Brewers Malt (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 84.6 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.7 %
1 lb Corn Sugar
Malts were crushed for BIAB, it's in-between the tightest setting and the half way setting (what would be 10 o'clock if you are looking right at it).

Mash:
I should have taken better notes. I actually took a picture of the whiteboard I used but then formatted the card before uploading the pic to my skydrive.

I'm a BIAB'r so I mashed in with about 9 gallons of water and heated it to 153F. I stirred it every 10 or so minutes. After 60 minutes I heated it up to 168F and let it sit for 15 mins. After 15 mins I cranked the bag up out of the pot and squeezed it several times. I let it hang there dripping while I heated the wort to a boil.

Boil volume : 7 gal
Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.053 SG

Hop Schedule:
1.00 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 38.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 4 23.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 3.5 IBUs
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Boil for 5 min](0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 7.7 %

Estimated Post Boil Vol: 5.98 gal and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.064 SG

Ferment:
1 pouch of White Labs "Pure Pitch" West Coast yeast. I left it for 2 weeks in the primary then racked to a secondary and added the dry hops. I let it set for an additional 2 weeks, cold crashed it, added my gelatin, let it sit for 2 days at 38F, and then racked it to a keg.

Kegging/Co2:
Two days at 30psi, then 4 days at 12psi, drank it on the 7th day (when I good IPA should be drank!).

Purdy Picture:
aviary-image-1466278199572.jpeg

I think this was my 1st pull. After about the 3rd pull it was crystal clear.

Back