Too Much Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSS

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I brewed my first batch about a week ago using BIAB. I did a full volume mash in order to skip sparging, but I ended up with about 2.75 gallons of wort instead of my intended 2.5 gallons. Initially, I wasn't worried about it, but now I'm wondering how it's going to affect my beer. Is this a problem? Will it water-down the flavor of my beer?

Thanks.

Keep notes so you can learn your system. Practically speaking, you had 10% more water than you should have, so your OG would be expected to be about 9% low (in the case of 1.060 OG, you would get like 1.055ish). So yes, it will affect your beer. Not enough to ruin your beer though. It will still be good. Considering it was your first beer, I would say mash issues are likely to mess up your OG just as much. Or not. Who knows. But you made beer.

Edit: next time boil longer (if you know you're too high pre-boil) or add some DME (if you realize post-boil)

It is probably too late by now...
It should be beer alreaduy...
Let it run, bottle and enjoy 2 weeks later...
Brew again...

Hi guys,

I brewed my first batch about a week ago using BIAB. I did a full volume mash in order to skip sparging, but I ended up with about 2.75 gallons of wort instead of my intended 2.5 gallons. Initially, I wasn't worried about it, but now I'm wondering how it's going to affect my beer. Is this a problem? Will it water-down the flavor of my beer?

Thanks.

Good advice above. Part of the art of learning to brew is learning your own system - how much strike water is needed, boil-off rates, etc. Being a little off on your first batch is no big deal. As others have said it will affect the final ABV of the beer and perhaps something in the character (mouth-feel, etc.) but it certainly won't ruin the beer.

If you overshoot your intended boil volume add some time to the boil. If you undershoot add a little water to the boil kettle. Take good notes by finding a good form for a Brew Log. Then when you've made several batches things will start to come together for you.

There is definitely a learning curve in place here and there are no good shortcuts to avoid the need for practice.

Cheers!
:mug:

That's not much. My first BIAB I followed the directions that came with it, and my 3 gallon kit turned into 4 gallons. Still made beer, and it was good. :mug: Learn from it and adjust future batches.

I've been using pricelessbrewing's calculator and it's been pretty good for me. You're still going to have variations because of differences in grain crush, water chemistry etc but for water volume and temps it's been working well for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back