re-pitch the cake from conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balvey

Reaction score
I wanted to attempt a NE style ipa and decided to attempt to harvest yeast from a heady topper. I created a 1000ml 1.040 wort that I poured the dregs from a can of heady into. I let that grow for a week, cold crashed it, poured off the liquid and added another 1000ml 1.040 wort. I let that grow for another 5 days and had a good 1/2 - 3/4 inch layer of yeast at the bottom of my 2000ml flask on brew day.

My OG for 6 gallons was at 1.084. I'm NOT (edit) real familiar with figuring out how much yeast I should have for this beer. I'm not too concerned that I've under pitched, but I was wondering if I should take the collection ball off the bottom of my fast ferment conical and swirl it up then pour the yeast cake back into the conical and reconnect the collection ball afterward. I'm assuming this would introduce new settled yeast back into the mix. Bad idea?

When you pitched was it still actively fermenting? Personally, I wouldnt take the settled yeast off and re-pour back in, unless, you are slowing/stuck. Check your gravity. Where are you at? If you are still above 1.030 after a decent amount of time, i would take the settled yeast off create a starter and pitch at high kreusen back into the fermenter. Thats all I can think of as to why you would want to take it off and re-introduce it.

The starter was actively fermenting when I pitched it. I don't think I'm going to have any issues with it, was just thinking of solutions "just in case" as I didn't want to introduce a different strain of yeast and that starter is/was all i have of the heady yeast.

I brewed on Monday afternoon, pitched the starter Tuesday morning. Checked the conical last ( Wed ) evening and there was already a thick kreusen on top.

Thanks for the input!

BTW I brewed this a few weeks ago and had the same results. Thick kreusen on top that stayed there the entire fermentation.

I didn't necessarily follow any particular recipe, just a bunch of marris otter, white wheat, vienna, c10, malto dextrin, and a boat load of citra & mosiac at 10 min, 5 min, 1 min, & then in a whirlpool. Giving off some unreal aromas already, can't wait to get this one dry hopped and kegged.

I didn't necessarily follow any particular recipe, just a bunch of marris otter, white wheat, vienna, c10, malto dextrin, and a boat load of citra & mosiac at 10 min, 5 min, 1 min, & then in a whirlpool. Giving off some unreal aromas already, can't wait to get this one dry hopped and kegged.

You can't lose with that blend!

Back