shredding and toasting fresh coconut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So, I needed coconut for a porter I am doing. I know I can just go and buy coconut flakes, toast em and use that, but I was going through the isles at my international market and found some fresh young coconuts (see below)

I figured it could be fun to shave and toast my own fresh coconuts. I was curious if anything else has done this and if so:
a) what was the best way you found to shred/flake it?
b) there are a couple of methods for toasting coconut I have found and that basically fall into two categories, slow and low (lowest setting in oven for 4-6hrs) or high and fast (300F+ for 5-10min).

Some people may ask, "why the hassle just get the pre-shredded/pre-toasted stuff?" and that is a valid question. Mostly because I find these kinds of of things fun and using these coconuts, I will also have delicious fresh coconut milk to enjoy!

So anyways, would love some suggestions if anyone has some to share. Thanks in advance!

I use a cheese grater with large grating holes, or the wide shave for large thin curls. Then bake 350F until the edges get toasted. I put the coconut in the oven while it's heating up, and keep a close watch on it. Once it's dried out it will toast very quickly. It's great in porters!

Let us know how the porter turns out. Your recipe or other?

It's my own recipe. Going after a "Girl Scout Cookie, Somoa Porter" and going to age it in my rum barrel.

75% 2row
6% Carabrown
3% Chocolate
4% Cara 80
3% Cara 120
6% Flaked Oats
3% Lactose

Bittered to 35IBU with Simcoe at 60min

Mashed at 154
OG: 1.085
FG: 1.026

Using a mix of English and American Ale yeasts (had a slurry of a blend I used previously)

Going to age in the rum barrel for a while
Then secondary (Tertiary?) with 1.5lb toasted coconut, 4oz cocoa nibs, 1 vanilla bean, and some molasses.

I cut mine with a knife as thin as I can then toast at 350 till it starts to brown. I put a wooden spoon in the oven door so it doesn't close all the way. Learned this in Hawaii from a local that made coconut candy. Only difference with the candy is the coat it in sugar first then use this same roasting method. So good

I thought about the young coconuts and shredding/grating and toasting, but was thinking buying already grated may be a lot easier. If you have a local Southeast Asian market most of them sell grated or shredded coconut in the frozen aisle. Only ingredient is coconut. The grated is very finely grated. I think that is what I will try to use when I attempt a coconut stout/Porter.

Latest posts

Back