Dry out FG on all extract ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankjones

Reaction score
I'm considering an all extract IPA at 1.70 Og

Wich yeast will get it down to 1.012 ish

OR just add corn sugar?

I think corn sugar is your best bet. I can't think of any extract that would ferment down that far with just a regular ale yeast. You'd be lucky to get down to 1.015, and more than likely you would land in the 1.017-1.020 range.

Or do a mini mash in the kettle plus sugar (regular or invert, I haven't noticed a difference personally)
Batch Size: 5.50 gal Style: Double IPA (22A)
Boil Size: 3.57 gal Style Guide: BJCP 2015
Color: 8.0 SRM Equipment: Pot ( 4 Gal/15.1 L) - Extract
Bitterness: 143.5 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.071 (17.1° P) Mash Profile: BIAB, Light Body
Est FG: 1.011 SG (2.8° P) Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 7.9% Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients Amount Name Type #
4 lbs Pale ale Malt (3.4 SRM) Grain 1
2.00 oz Galena [12.5%] - Boil 40 min Hops 2
6 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract [Boil for 1 min] (8.0 SRM) Grain 3
1.00 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Steep 30 min Hops 4
2.00 oz El Dorado [15.0%] - Steep 30 min Hops 5
1 pkgs Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 6
1 lbs 8.00 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Grain 7
1.00 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Dry Hop 4 days Hops 8
1.00 oz El Dorado [15.0%] - Dry Hop 4 days Hops 9

Notes
mash: 3 gal RO water, 3g CaSO4, 2g CaCl2, 1g MgSO4, and .5mL Lactic.
Removed galena and dropped temperature to 180 for hop stand.
added invert sugar 1.5lb near end of initial fermentation
3/19: OG 1.064
3/26: 1.017, added sugar for effective OG increase to 1.077.
3/29: 1.0150
4/01: 1.0115, kegged
Dry hopped on 4/3 in keg, removed 4/6, on tap 4/8.

I think I'm going with the mini mash, just because I want to get super dry and also may add a bit 5%corn sugar.

I notice that if I don't get them dry that in 3 months when the hops fade they are too sweet for me.

Or do a mini mash in the kettle plus sugar (regular or invert, I haven't noticed a difference personally)

IMO, you definitely need some sugar for extract based IPAs or it will be way too sweet. You can easily go up to 10% without issue if you are using extracts. Using a highly attenuative yeast would be very beneficial as well. WLP090 is a good clean option.

I've started spiking my bigger IPAs with a belgian saison yeast a few days into fermentation to get them very dry. I'm usually not happy if my IPAs finish above 1.010, but that's just me

I think corn sugar is your best bet. I can't think of any extract that would ferment down that far with just a regular ale yeast. You'd be lucky to get down to 1.015, and more than likely you would land in the 1.017-1.020 range.

Seen this said a couple of times, my US-05 API settled at 1.011 (OG was 1.061) ...is this unusual then?

No corn sugar, Briess Golden Light LME ... 9.9lbs of it.

Seen this said a couple of times, my US-05 API settled at 1.011 (OG was 1.061) ...is this unusual then?

No corn sugar, Briess Golden Light LME ... 9.9lbs of it.

That's a about 82% apparent attenuation, which is pretty good for Golden Light. I didn't have that kind of luck with it when I used it, but then I also used the DME so maybe that had something to do with it. I usually got 75-80%, and I worked off the assumption that I'd get 75% unless I added some corn sugar to dry it out.

OP is shooting for 84.5% apparent attenuation. I'd be really surprised if that ended up being the case without any corn sugar or some other 100% fermentable addition. It's more than I ever saw with Golden Light DME and US-05, to be sure.

At what point do you add the Belgian Saison
IMO, you definitely need some sugar for extract based IPAs or it will be way too sweet. You can easily go up to 10% without issue if you are using extracts. Using a highly attenuative yeast would be very beneficial as well. WLP090 is a good clean option.

I've started spiking my bigger IPAs with a belgian saison yeast a few days into fermentation to get them very dry. I'm usually not happy if my IPAs finish above 1.010, but that's just me

I'd add it a few days into fermentation, after high krausen starts to subside. That way, most of the flavors will be from your main yeast. The saison yeast usually cuts through for a dry finish

Adding saison or champagne yeast a few days into fermentation is a good suggestion. Brett could also work, but it will probably change the flavor a bit more.

Don't use Champagne yeast, it does not work on the complex sugars that will be left, and is also a killer yeast so it will then be difficult to get anything elase to work after. It is very useful for bottling high gravity beers as it only works on the simple priming sugar.

You can use a high attenuating Farmhouse yeast as a second yesat if you want.

An alternative is to do the whole fermentation with a high attenuating Belgian or Farmhouse yeast. Stone Calibelge ale is their standard IPA brewed with the Duvel yeast.

And toss in a pound of simple sugar. It will help bring down the FG probably worth about .002 on FG.

For my DIPA lately I have been adding 1 pound of sugar and 10oz of honey. I tend to start with 1.070 and finish at 1.008 - 1.010

Back