Characterful base malts for SMASH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowveil

Reaction score
Afternoon,

I'm looking to make a SMASH IPA using (most likely) Eureka hops, but I'm undecided on which base malt to go with. I've also got a bunch of Columbus, Apollo, Azacca, Simcoe, and Summit on hand. The options at a few surrounding LHBS' are:

TF Golden Promise
TF Halcyon
TF Pearl
Briess Vienna
Weyermann Vienna
Various Swaen Malts (I'd have to call in an order to the LHBS)

I could get Maris Otter, but honestly I'm not a huge fan. I've really enjoyed using Golden Promise in the past with Brown ales and Stouts, so if I bought a bag I know I'd go through the rest in future recipes.

I've got zero experience with Halcyon, Pearl, or anything from Swaen. If I went with Vienna, I don't anticipate using any more than what I'd need for the smash recipe.

As it stands I'm kind of leaning towards Golden Promise, but it'd be cool if I experimented a bit with something a little less familiar. Any thoughts/experiences?

I would go with Vienna because I'm a fan, but it seems maybe Golden Promise would be a better choice since you know it and like it.

If you're looking for possible unusual flavors, the Swaen malts look really interesting. I'm getting some for a future brew.

Golden Promise - All day, Every Day. That is a great malt.

I find Pearl produces a "thinner" beer..... for lack of a better way of describing it.

Another vote for Golden Promise, it's my base for pretty much every beer. I cant comment on Swaen, but here is my vote top to bottom for the rest:
1. TF Golden Promise
2. Weyermann Vienna
3. TF Halcyon
4. TF Pearl
5. Briess Vienna - Spend the extra money for Weyermann

I vote golden promise. I absolutely love Founder's Mosaic Promise Smash right now.

Halcyon is a bit mediocre. Golden promise is great.

Optic is nice if you can get it.

Never tired pearl

Latest posts

Back