Yeast Harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjeffers09

Reaction score
So I have this idea, be cheep, pragmatic, awesome, straight up home microbiologist brew industry standards of QA out of my very own mini fridge. Why because that is me and I am qwerky and weird. So I want to dive in and see if I can improve my sanitation, my general skills, and make the best beer I can make. Now it is down to researching and debating yeast harvesting. Top of the fermenter, middle of the trub (I don't like the idea), building up a BIG starter, and making starters off of the starter.

Now for best practices in yeast management

How many generations? 7 is probably standard 10 is pushing the limits.

Acid wash? phosphoric acid and sterile water so a 1;9 acid:distilled water

pH drop the pH during the acid wash to 2.0-2.4 pH

Cleaning the equipment prior to use with yeasts? Iodophors? Isopropyl Alcohol? Peracetic acid? Hypochlorites? Chlorine Dioxide? Quaternary Ammonium Compounds (QACs or Quats)? A mixture? I currently use Iodophors and occasionally, about 1x per 4 months peracetic acid I make myself then discard when I am done.

Best practices on how to harvest? Saving a sample from a starter, building a new starter for the next pitch? Pulling from high krausen, if top cropping strain. Then there is the cone middle of the group that has a few daughters but not a lot. I don't have the telescope yet, and that may indeed be a yet. Ready? And talk trash! :mug:

I save some of my starter by pouring the swirled starter wort/yeast into a pint jar sanitized with Star San.

I save yeast from the fermentor by pouring the swirled beer/yeast into a quart jar sanitized with Star San.

I don't try to complicate the process.

Where are you at in Indy?

Back to topic, I have a request in to a simple yeast building article. Check out brulosphy. Great write ups.

I do 10 gal batches so after I double a single smack pack/vial, one collected jar goes into my 5L flask to make enough yeast for 10 gal. The other collected jar is saved and then doubled in my 2L flask for future use. So I always have 2 smack packs at all times. First generation, no stress, no contact with hops. My last two yeast starters took off within 2 hours.

I washed yeast for a few years, but this is by far the best practice, IMO, to retain and have readily available yeast.

Back