help create orange juice IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elburrogrande

Reaction score
Looking to make an IPA that taste as close to orange juice as possible. This is what I have so far

3.5 gallon batch

estimated OG=1.058
estimated FG= 1.008
estimated ABV= 6.5%
estimated color=6SRM
estimated IBU's=48??

Grains:
6 lbs Pale 2-Row
12 Oz Flaked wheat
4 oz acid malt
3 oz crystal 60
2 oz honey malt

Mash: 1.33 qt/lb @ ≈152 degrees

Hops:
0.3 oz Columbus (60 min)
0.3 oz Citra (20 min)
1.2 oz Citra (0 min) whirlpool 20 minutes
2.5 oz Citra (dry hop 5 days)
3 oz Citra (dry hop 3 days)

extras:
1/2 whirlfloc tablet
pinch of yeast nutrient
1oz coriander seeds (10)minutes
zest from 2 oranges (10) minutes

Yeast: conan/007 blend

How does this look? should I keep the coriander and zest or do without them? tips or suggestions?

I can't comment on the grainbill or hops, but I would cut the coriander down to no more than .25 oz otherwise it will probably overpower everything else. You're also going to want to up the amount of zest that you use if you do go that route. I generally zest 6/7 medium oranges for my Belgian witbier and you'll probably want at least that much.

I have a keg full of a Nugget/Centennial IPA. It is positively orangey. Not orange reminiscent, it tastes like oranges. And it's all from the hops - no orange juice, orange peel, orange oil, etc.

Citra, I think, won't be nearly as orangey. I have a bunch of Pseudo-Sue in the fridge, and it is not a bit orangey IMO.

If you want to punch it up, I'd suggest orange oil rather than zest. (A little oil goes a long way, though!)

I second the mandarina hops too. Very distinct orange flavor.

Is that really 48 ibu with only .3oz columbus and citra? I would up the whirlpool some if you want it intense. The dry hop looks good and I expect I'll smell the citrus all the way down here in citrus country.

I second the mandarina hops too. Very distinct orange flavor.

Is that really 48 ibu with only .3oz columbus and citra? I would up the whirlpool some if you want it intense. The dry hop looks good and I expect I'll smell the citrus all the way down here in citrus country.

thanks everyone for the suggestions. 48 IBUS might be too much probably closer to 40. im getting about 35 from the .3 Columbus and Citra additions. I was just trying to add some due to the hopstand/whirlpool

wow that is an intense looking beer

Yeah but on the other hand, my non beer drinking mom can handle it. Definitely don't need to go that heavy on hop additions. But the grain bill is on point. Very hazy juice like body

Here's what I've learned from my own citrus bomb experiments.

Citra makes a fantastic IPA, but by itself, tastes nothing like oranges. It's more passionfruit, lychee, and mango with a little pine. I've never been able to discern anything citrusy from Citra-only beers come to think of it.

Nugget/Centennial, Mandarina, or Pacifica like others have said are great citrusy hops to use. Amarillo, Ahtanum, Columbus are also good citrusy hops. Simcoe in small amounts can emphasize citrus, too. Avoid using one hop, the flavor will be more focused and "hoppy" than citrusy or orangey. Since orange juice is more sweet and acidic than bitter, late hopping or even exclusively whirlpool hopping is appropriate, with only a small bittering addition.

I tend to steer away from caramel or melanoidiny malts in this type of beer. You'll get a cleaner out-of-the-way malt profile that provides mainly sweetness and body rather than the richer grain flavors that would be out of place in orange juice.

I've used 11 grams (0.38 oz) of Coriander in 6 gallons of Witbier, and the thing tasted like Coriander tea. I decreased the amount to 2.5 grams (0.08 oz) in the follow-up recipe, but it still managed to punch through 180 grams (6.4 oz) of Rangpur zest (lemon-tangerine hybrid) at 10m. I can't even imagine what an entire ounce would taste like in 3.5 gallons. I'd avoid Coriander here.

The 6.4 oz of zest in a 6 gallon batch was about a dozen tangerine sized fruits. The flavor is present, but not intense. I'm not really sure that you can overdo the zest additions. Go crazy! 4 fruits is a good start, I wouldn't use less than that. Also remember that orange juice manufacturers blend different varietals of oranges, so definitely mix it up. If you can find Valencia, Hamlin, or Navel oranges, put those in the mix. Those are your classic "juicing" oranges.

As for yeast, Conan/007 looks good.

The recipe in the recent issue of brew your own is outstanding....in case you are as feeling lazy I did.

Here's what I've learned from my own citrus bomb experiments.

Citra makes a fantastic IPA, but by itself, tastes nothing like oranges. It's more passionfruit, lychee, and mango with a little pine. I've never been able to discern anything citrusy from Citra-only beers come to think of it.

Nugget/Centennial, Mandarina, or Pacifica like others have said are great citrusy hops to use. Amarillo, Ahtanum, Columbus are also good citrusy hops. Simcoe in small amounts can emphasize citrus, too. Avoid using one hop, the flavor will be more focused and "hoppy" than citrusy or orangey. Since orange juice is more sweet and acidic than bitter, late hopping or even exclusively whirlpool hopping is appropriate, with only a small bittering addition.

I tend to steer away from caramel or melanoidiny malts in this type of beer. You'll get a cleaner out-of-the-way malt profile that provides mainly sweetness and body rather than the richer grain flavors that would be out of place in orange juice.

I've used 11 grams (0.38 oz) of Coriander in 6 gallons of Witbier, and the thing tasted like Coriander tea. I decreased the amount to 2.5 grams (0.08 oz) in the follow-up recipe, but it still managed to punch through 180 grams (6.4 oz) of Rangpur zest (lemon-tangerine hybrid) at 10m. I can't even imagine what an entire ounce would taste like in 3.5 gallons. I'd avoid Coriander here.

The 6.4 oz of zest in a 6 gallon batch was about a dozen tangerine sized fruits. The flavor is present, but not intense. I'm not really sure that you can overdo the zest additions. Go crazy! 4 fruits is a good start, I wouldn't use less than that. Also remember that orange juice manufacturers blend different varietals of oranges, so definitely mix it up. If you can find Valencia, Hamlin, or Navel oranges, put those in the mix. Those are your classic "juicing" oranges.

As for yeast, Conan/007 looks good.

Great post. Thanks for the input. So far I plan to reduce or do away with crystal and honey malt. Maybe add flaked oats. Also reduce or do away with Coriander and increase significantly the zest from different oranges. As for hops Im looking at Columbus, Amarillo, Citra and trying to get a hold of mandarina

Yeah but on the other hand, my non beer drinking mom can handle it. Definitely don't need to go that heavy on hop additions. But the grain bill is on point. Very hazy juice like body

for sure man, thanks. I just order 4oz of exp 7270 and 4oz of mandarina

I have an all Citra IPA with tangerine and orange zest that came out really emphasizing the citrus side of Citra. Pretty much orange and mango. I would do 4 oranges, no coriander and that Columbus/Amarillo/Citra/Mandarina combo looks like a winner.

Back