Why should I step mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroomVikin

Reaction score
So I'm entirely aware that this is a question for someone far above my brewing experience level but curiosity is what makes us better right? I'm very soon to be the proud owner of an eBIAB setup (in the mail from the Great White North as I type this!). With my new found precision in the way of temperature control I realized that the fabled "step mash" was something that I could incorporate into my arsenal. However, after an admittedly cursory search through the forums I mostly found threads that were several years old amd referred to slightly older brewing methods. The main reason I found in favor of the step mash was that it would help break down unmodified grains better. So I guess my question is this, with the technological superiority of today's grains would I gain anything from a step mash? If so how would I go about converting a single infusion recipe to a step mash recipe?

No. Even under modified malt is well modified (lol). It's unnecessary, but traditional in a sense that people want to do it because that's how it used to be done (still is in some brew houses).

No. Even under modified malt is well modified (lol). It's unnecessary, but traditional in a sense that people want to do it because that's how it used to be done (still is in some brew houses).

So do people just do it to say they can/did? I'm all about shortening my brew day. Seems like a waste if it doesn't gain me anything...:confused:

So do people just do it to say they can/did? I'm all about shortening my brew day. Seems like a waste if it doesn't gain me anything...:confused:

In some cases, there are gains. For example, in a grainbill with 60% wheat, or lots of rye, a protein rest to break up the beta glucans can help with the stickiness of the mash.

In most cases, using fully modified malt, a protein rest is not only unnecessary, it can degrade the foam and head formation and retention.

There are reasons to do it. But those reasons only apply to certain grain bills. Like Yooper said, if you are using lots of wheat, rye, oats, or unmalted grains, then a step mash can help save you from an unmanageable stuck sparge.

If you are doing typical all barley recipes, then chances are you don't have any need for a step mash.

That being said, an infusion step mash is very different from a decoction mash. And even though lots of people say a decoction mash doesn't have any impact that can't be achieved through a single infusion, there are plenty of others that swear by the flavor, body, and color characteristics of a decoction mash (whether single, double, triple, etc.).

a protein rest to break up the beta glucans can help with the stickiness of the mash.

Assuming my UniBrau works as well as I'm hoping it will I'll be doing an eBIAB recirculating mash, in effect a RIMS type system. Since sparging won't really be a concern I suppose this is something I can just not worry about in the future. Good, learning to brew is kind of like drinking from a fire hose already. There's so much (great!) info on this site I've got to pick and choose what I try to absorb. Thanks for the insight guys.

Step Mashing is fun and not too tricky. I BIAB and use one quite often.

This thread outlines my methods. Might be useful to you.

This type of mash lends itself to a variety of beer styles.

Step Mashed Beers
attachment.php

Back