Suggestions for using hops just ordered

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litl-76

Reaction score
So just bought some hops on the market place on a whim and was wondering what you guys would make with them using extract and specialty grains. I don't have any real experience making recipes. What I got:
5oz East Kent Golding
6oz citra
4oz Apollo
6oz German Northern Brewer

Any help or ideas would be great

The Northern Brewer and Apollo are good bittering hops so can be used in most any brew. NB can be used throughout the brew and works well with others. Citra is one of the best in American ipa and pales. Your future brew list states a java stout, so Apollo, NB, and Goldings are a perfect combo. Apollo and NB for bittering, then NB and golding for later additions. This combo would also work well in your nut browns, amber, porters, etc. Let the citra shine when you want citrus. Good luck with them, good picks.

Citra and Apollo are awesome hops together. I've got a hop bill for a session IPA that I scaled up to a standard American IPA using Citra, Apollo, and Eureka that was excellent. Both of those hops go a long way though, so be careful not to over do it. Apollo tends to have a kind of sweet orange & dank character that blends well with hops that can brighten it up a little bit in my experience. Citra is tropical fruit & mango...but can turn kind of deisel-y and gym-socky in my experience if you over do it, or get a bad crop. Maybe shoot for a 2:1 Apollo:Citra late/dry hop in an IPA or Pale Ale?

The Session IPA hop bill was .5oz warrior FWH (you could use your apollo for this, too), .5oz citra @30, then 1oz each citra/apollo/eureka at flameout for a 20 minute whirlpool. Then 1oz each citra/apollo/eureka in the dry hop. Turned out with at ton of citrus and fruit. Without the eureka I'd probably just sub it out with another oz of Apollo.

Can't speak much to the strengths of EKG and Northern Brewer...other than EKG is typically used in english styles and from what I understand Northern Brewer provides an almost minty-herbal character that goes well in dark beers like browns, porters, and stouts. I've brewed with them before but don't usually buy them for recipe planning.

Agreed with Build, EKG/NB could be good for your stout coming up. I personally usually leave late hops out of my stouts unless I'm doing an American style stout, then I'll generally go for columbus, centennial, or the like.

In any case, update with what you do with them! So many threads like this die out without ever hearing back on how the recipes turned out.

Tell me what you think. I'm gonna try
8&1/2 lbs Pilsen lme
1lb crystal 40l steeped

.5 oz Citra (60 min)
.5 oz Citra (15 min)
.5 oz Apollo (15 min)
.5 oz Citra (0 min)
.5 oz Apollo (0 min)
.5 oz Citra (dry hop)
1 oz Apollo dry hop)

Nottingham yeast

Tell me what you think. I'm gonna try
8&1/2 lbs Pilsen lme
1lb crystal 40l steeped

.5 oz Citra (60 min)
.5 oz Citra (15 min)
.5 oz Apollo (15 min)
.5 oz Citra (0 min)
.5 oz Apollo (0 min)
.5 oz Citra (dry hop)
1 oz Apollo dry hop)

Nottingham yeast

Looks pretty good to me, except I'd drop the Crystal 40 to half a pound...personal tastes. Higher amounts of Crystal can compete with hop character. Try to ferment cool with the notty to keep the fermentation character clean as well.

Looks pretty good to me, except I'd drop the Crystal 40 to half a pound...personal tastes. Higher amounts of Crystal can compete with hop character. Try to ferment cool with the notty to keep the fermentation character clean as well.

Makes sense the crystals. I was altering a recipe that I found that called for cascade so put into Brewers friend with Apollo instead and the stats look good

Forgot to post last night. Brewed per recipe. OG came out at 1.05 with six gallons didn't boil off as much as expected started with close to seven gallons.

Makes sense the crystals. I was altering a recipe that I found that called for cascade so put into Brewers friend with Apollo instead and the stats look good

Keep in mind Apollo has 2-3x the AA% of Cascade.

I suggest using the East Kent goldings in that wheat wine you're considering. I did that with a version that had some special roast and caramel wheat, and the end result...tastes markedly like the platonic essence of orange caramel sauce, if oranges could be made into caramel sauce instead of turning godawfully bitter when heated.

Alternatively/in addition, I suggest using Northern Brewer for bittering and East Kent Goldings for flavor/aroma additions in a porter or stout.

To keep your hops fresher, store them in airtight bags in the freezer. Expel as much air as possible (squeeze it all out), or better yet, use a vacuum sealer.

Regular Ziplock bags are not airtight, thick freezer bags are better, but mylar is best. Oxygen and heat are hops' worst enemies.

To keep your hops fresher, store them in airtight bags in the freezer. Expel as much air as possible (squeeze it all out), or better yet, use a vacuum sealer.

Regular Ziplock bags are not airtight, thick freezer bags are better, but mylar is best. Oxygen and heat are hops' worst enemies.

Yeah all of the bulk hops are stored in vacuum bags with desiccant pack in them. The pic was just of what I was using for the recipe.

Latest posts

Back