IPA recipe, opinions sought

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTH1975

Reaction score
I'd move the Challenger addition to 70 min with the Summit to get your IBU's and minimize clock-watching. I'd move all 3 Simcoe additions, and the Amarillo addition to flameout. Simcoe as a FWH seems wasteful to me - it's such a delicious hop, why relegate it to a mere bitterness addition? Get your IBUs from a higher AA%, less delicious hop (like the Summit or Challenger). Ditto for Amarillo, it will play nicely with the Simcoe as a flavour/flameout addition.

Thanks for the suggestions - some good food for thought.

My reasoning in using the Simcoe and Amarillo as FW additions was to get some IBUs, but also to retain flavour/aroma while adding another layer of flavours and complexity that adding them at flameout wouldn't give. Well, that's the theory anyway, ha ha.

Understood, but I don't believe you'd get any aroma or flavour from a FWH addition. Anecdotally, some brewers report that FWH give a slightly "rounder" bitterness, but there's no science to support that any flavour or aroma would survive the 60 minute boil. As with early boil additions, the alpha acids will be completely isomerized, contributing only bitterness.

I suppose it's a 'suck it and see' approach to FWH. I'll try it with the finishing hops all at the end next time for comparison.

Back