Capper broken or not? I don't know

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the bottling bucket and racked beer on to it. The handle screw was a little loose so maybe didn't seal proper but I don't see why as was only a little loose,

I have the same style bench capper. Just recently replaced the bell after a couple batches didn't carbonate well. The bell I replaced had been in use for seven years. Have good carbonation again.

I have the same exact capper, just looked at mine and there is nothing missing on yours. Just make sure the the bell housing is screwed on all the way tight. I was having problems where my brews were leaking (I bottle from keg) and noticed that the capper wasn't crimping all the watyaround properly. I noticed that the bell housing wasn't on tight and each time I went to press down, it would cock off in one direction essentially crimping properly in that one direction. I tightened it up and haven't had an issue yet.

Sweet, thanks for that, the whole brew is flat, do you think I can open up add a little sugar and re cap? Try to save something

Sweet, thanks for that, the whole brew is flat, do you think I can open up add a little sugar and re cap? Try to save something

You could add a Domino Sugar "Dot" to each bottle. In a 12 ounce bottle without any other priming sugar this would result in about 2.7 volumes of CO2.

How much priming sugar, and volume of beer, did you use for bottling? How long have the bottles been conditioning and at what temperature?

Long shot, but more time might be needed rather than trying a fix to early.

OK, looks like you duplicated this post, so I'm going to duplicate my answer.... Before we start looking for a solution, let's see if there's really a problem here.... Before we start looking at possible reasons, let's rule out what no one else has asked....

Revvy said:
Looks fine to me... Now before we go further, read THIS, and then tell whether or not anything mentioned in there might be the reason your beer's not carbed, YET.

99.99% of the time, that is the reason someone's beer isn't carbed when they start a thread like this. :mug:

Ok thanks, I brew 2 batches per month and all my beers are normally perfect carbed just this last batch is a problem, but it must be the capper as the 2 grolch bottles are carbed great, but all the ones I capped with the capper are all flat, the screws were loose on the capper handle could be that, but I'm now worried about my next batch which it due to be bottled tomorrow, cheers

Back