Stuck London III

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuiltToLast

Reaction score
Anyone have problems with the Wyeast London III strain getting stuck about 5 points above expected FG? I split my last pale ale and fermented half with Chico and half with London III, then did an IPA with the London III. The chico finished in 5 days at 1.011, the London is still at 1.016 2 weeks later, even after transferring and adding 11.5g of dry english yeast. The Ipa, which i made a starter for, is also stuck around 1.021. They have all been in a temp controlled ferm chamber and kept at 69*. The London fermenters have been agitated twice a day for the last 3 days and still haven't budged. They were also all oxygenated for 90 seconds prior to pitching. Any ideas?

Had the same issue with my last Oatmeal Stout. Stuck at 1.027 after 3 days of vigorous fermentation followed by no activity for 17 more days. Ended at 1.026. I started at 66F and tried bumping it up to 70 and rousing the yeast multiple times for a couple days after it stalled then gave up. Beer came out great besides that...4.1% makes for a session able stout that's for sure.

Sounds familiar! The first 3 days of the IPA fermentation was great. Lots of activity and the gravity went from 1.072 to 1.030 by the end of the third day.

I just did an all whirlpool hopped IPA recently and decided to use the London III. I usually end up around 1.011-1.013 for my IPA's with most yeasts and the London III finished around 1.015, and that was after having to warm it up and rouse it. I love this yeast for dark beers but am starting to question my using it in an IPA. I'll just have to wait and see how it tastes, but as wyeast says, it certainly "finishes slightly sweet"

London III is a high flocculator and low attenuator. Attempting to rouse the yeast might be your best option.

I always lower my mash temp when I use it unless I'm shooting for residual sweetness.

London III is a high flocculator and low attenuator. Attempting to rouse the yeast might be your best option.

I always lower my mash temp when I use it unless I'm shooting for residual sweetness.

I haven't found it to flocculate well, but agreed otherwise. I use London III when I want a beer to finish high, or when I want an English-fruity ester bomb. If you add some Nottingham/Chico/something-else-hungry after the 1318 has done its thing, you'll get attenuation.

I haven't found it to flocculate well, but agreed otherwise. I use London III when I want a beer to finish high, or when I want an English-fruity ester bomb. If you add some Nottingham/Chico/something-else-hungry after the 1318 has done its thing, you'll get attenuation.

So say I made and appropriate starter with London 3 how much of the other yeast would I use to get it to finish out? 1 pack of 05, a small starter of 001. How do u know how much extra yeast to put on so you don't over pitch and then drive the fg way down. I'd like to try this so I'm curious, but I don't want a dipa to finish at 1.006 and its to dry, so I guess where do u find the balance to keep the body and fruit of the 1318 without dive bombing the fg It then gets so dry it would lose all the 1318 characteristics.

So say I made and appropriate starter with London 3 how much of the other yeast would I use to get it to finish out? 1 pack of 05, a small starter of 001. How do u know how much extra yeast to put on so you don't over pitch and then drive the fg way down. I'd like to try this so I'm curious, but I don't want a dipa to finish at 1.006 and its to dry, so I guess where do u find the balance to keep the body and fruit of the 1318 without dive bombing the fg It then gets so dry it would lose all the 1318 characteristics.

The quantity of the second yeast isn't very important. It'll finish at about the same gravity whether you pitch a little or a lot. You'll keep the fruit, but lose some body. Which second yeast you pitch will determine how much body you lose. The manufacturer's average attenuation will give you a very rough idea of how much body you'll lose, in that an 80% AA yeast will finish lower than a 77%. Almost any yeast will finish lower than 1318, so you have a lot of options.

I bet you will still like the pale ale with 1318 that finished at 1:016. I have added one pack of US-05 to an IPA where the 1318 had stalled at 1.020 and got down to 1.016. I used to like really dry IPAs but have been loving the ones that finish 1.014-1.016. Just keep the amount of crystal to minimum and go light on any honey malt if you use that

I just used this yeast for the first time, 1.052-1.009. Mashed at 147 for about 90 minutes. Just getting ready to tap the keg.

A temp ramp is required for many English strains before flocculation. Once the yeast floc's then you have lost the battle. You cant resuspended a yeast after flocculation, because the cells have aggregated.

Back