SsBrewTech Whirlpool Demo (Video)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_CraftBeerTraders

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I saw SsBrewTech had released a new design for a whirlpool so I was interested in checking it out. I will spare all of you the installation process and etc and just post up the video of the whirlpool in action. If you want to read the installation instructions heres the link to the blog post. I installed it in my 20gal kettle and tested the whirlpool at both 12 gallons and 20 gallon volumes

http://blog.craftbeertraders.com/ssbrewtech-whirlpool-install-and-demo/

Honestly I love the simple design of the attachment. Its easier to clean and looks a lot less clunky then a whirlpool arm running down the side of the kettle. As far as the current generated i was actually pretty impressed. It moved the 12gal nicely and even the 20 gal began to whirlpool quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered one as well for my 30 gallon spike kettle and I can't believe how much better it works than the elbow and tube I had. And it is super clean out of the way installed. Ss really makes some neat fittings!

Have you done a brew with the new whirlpool? I bought a whirlpool fitting for my SS kettle and was underwhelmed. I got a lot of hop material into the fermenter after a 15min whirlpool. I think the fitting does a good job of creating the whirlpool but the trub dam thing doesn't really do anything. All the hop material just goes around the dam and up the tube. Also I don't like all the additional parts and pieces needed for the SS whirlpool setup.

SS_F.jpg
SS_T.jpg

I now use my Spike Brewing kettle as my BK. I like their whirlpool much better. It's far easier to install with their push to connect fittings. The hop material also collects in the bottom dome section while the drain pickup sits on the top ledge picking up clear wort. Just my .02 :mug:

SP_F.jpg
SP_T.jpg

I have used mine for a brew however not with the ss trube dam. I was using a side pickup and it did a great job.

No, it was a different side pickup but same concept as the spike. I just made it myself with spare parts I had. I have an ss dam that I am going to try with the next brew...

My only concern is that the whirlpool is great, but when about chilling? Immersion chiller vs CFC vs Plate chiller... If running though a CFC chiller, does it get down to temp in one pass? I have no experience... With a plate chiller (like I use) I recirculate through the pump and the chiller (killing my whirlpool), hence why I utilize both my pumps (and get a better whirlpool than the video (but it not contains cold break as well...)

Many factors and chilling preferences control how well the whirlpool (in regards to trub cone formation) is effective.

My only concern is that the whirlpool is great, but when about chilling? Immersion chiller vs CFC vs Plate chiller... If running though a CFC chiller, does it get down to temp in one pass? I have no experience... With a plate chiller (like I use) I recirculate through the pump and the chiller (killing my whirlpool), hence why I utilize both my pumps (and get a better whirlpool than the video (but it not contains cold break as well...)

Many factors and chilling preferences control how well the whirlpool (in regards to trub cone formation) is effective.

That concern is the same across all whirlpool arms though. Not just specifically this design

I wonder what temp stratification is like when using an IC. I'm thinking about going with one of these Spike kettles with whirlpool arm and side pickup, but would want to keep my IC. Anyone have any first hand experience as to how chilling is effected by having recirc port so low on the kettle?

I have a little update, I used the ss whirlpool with the ss trub dam and it was junk for my brew.. went back to the side pickup but kept the ss whirlpool because I like how low profile it is and creates a great whirlpool. I chill will a blichmann thermonator single pass while transferring to fermenter I can get it down From boil to 60 with just tap water at full flow.

I would imagine the dam working better with a flat bottom and the side pickup working better with a non-flat bottom. Non-scientific or tested, just a guess.

I would imagine the dam working better with a flat bottom and the side pickup working better with a non-flat bottom. Non-scientific or tested, just a guess.

I've used both. In my opinion the trub dam is just a gimmick. The trub and hop material just flows around the dam. If it went all the way around to the sides then maybe it would work but as designed it doesn't do anything.

It works well for me, after I whirlpool. It doesn't catch all of the trub but it seems like I end up with about 1" less trub in my carboy, which is prime real estate IMO.

It works well for me, after I whirlpool. It doesn't catch all of the trub but it seems like I end up with about 1" less trub in my carboy, which is prime real estate IMO.

You have to deal with inches of trub? With the Spike kettle, whirlpool and side pick up there is practically no hop/trub that gets into my fermenter.

BIAB with a very fine crush and a SSBrewTech pot with all their bells and whistles (trub dam and whirlpool port).

Latest posts

Back