First mead batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tplato12

Reaction score
New to mead making and had a question. I racked from my primary to secondary and the mead looks perfect but smells very hot when I got close to it. It was in primary for 3 weeks and fermented in the normal time. Will it calm down with age? Or is it to soon to tell?

The mead will mellow out with time. Another few weeks to a month in secondary will help a lot.

Rule 1. Fresh mead is awful. Give it at least 60 days in secondary and bottle if it's clear enough to read through by that time.

Just needs the time. I wait for newspaper clear also and use the 60 days as a general time but will go over if it's still hot

Definitely will calm down with age. I rack off the lees from primary then each time I get to 1/2" of lees or in secondary or until i just can't stand it anymore. Usually only a couple of times in 60 - 90 days. I personally do not like the "hot" bite you get with some yeasts and age for an extended period of time. (Six months to a year after bottling and some longer.)

I won't think about bottling until 8 or 9 months. It gets easier to wait when you have enough bottled and you have a choice of aged meads to drink. Good luck and welcome to the obsession.

Back