Removing carbonation from bottle conditioned beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dv1011

Reaction score
So, I bottled and bottle conditioned the last brew I made but there is a ton of sediment in the bottles. I recently purchased a keg system and was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to remove the carbonation from the beer by moving it to a keg and then filtering it and using the keg to recarbonate it?

So, I bottled and bottle conditioned the last brew I made but there is a ton of sediment in the bottles. I recently purchased a keg system and was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to remove the carbonation from the beer by moving it to a keg and then filtering it and using the keg to recarbonate it?

Why do you want to remove the carbonation?

If you dump the beers into a keg they will retain some carbonation but certainly lose some as well. The sediment will be left behind in the bottles. Then just set your keg at serving pressure and wait for it to fully recarbonate. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

First, I don't understand why you would have so much sediment in the bottles. Did you rack sediment into your bottling vessel from them fermenter? Or possibly not leave it in the fermenter long enough? Second, there is a strong probability of introducing oxygen into your beer. Better yet, leave it in the bottles until you're ready to drink it, then carefully decant it into your glass or pitcher.

The best part of kegging is that it is WAY less work than bottling. By opening each of the bottles and dumping them into the keg, you're negating this advantage. I'd also worry about oxygenating the beer when dumping them one by one into the keg. You increase the chance for an infection as well.

In short, drink your beer, and start kegging with your next batch. I can't see an advantage to doing this.

How much sediment is "A ton of Sediment" ?

All my brews have some...I never drank/drink beer from a glass unless at a pub until I started home brewing. Now my only purpose for doing so is just to leave the sediment behind. I'm not into the whole glass for style thing or the supposed accentuated experience. But I have to admit I have sort of gotten addicted to seeing lacing.

Pour it in a glass slowly and enjoy it for what it is, your unfiltered home brew.

Just chill the beer down real good and carefully pour into a glass, leaving the sediment behind in the bottle. Pouring the beers off to a keg will oxygenate your beer. Just be more careful with the sediment next time.

Is it possible to do all these things? Yes, of course. It is not advisable, as it will not likely result in better beer.

Is the real problem the amount of sediment or the amount of carbonation? If it really is the latter, you could just open and immediately recap the bottles. Still sounds like a lot of work for little benefit to me.

Back