Bavarian Hefeweizen Extract Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zlaneb

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm returning to home brewing after a decade of being away. I'm excited to be back.
I have a question and need advice -
I brewed a 2.5 gallon back of Bavarian Hef using:
4 oz pils malt
3 pounds Wheat DME
Yeast starter last 15 minutes of boil.
1/2 ounce of Hallertau hops
11g of WLP300 yeast.

The Original Specific Gravity was 1.058 - recipe said is should be 1.050. I did add boiled, cooled water before pitching to bring the OSG down to approximately 1.055.

Sanitized everything, followed recipe, cooled wort to 65 and put in a 6.5 carboy. 12 hours later fermentation was going strong, lots of bubbles in the airlock.

36 hours later gas bubbles stopped and haven't restrarted (now day 5).
The carboy is stored at 72 degrees Ambient temp. The recipe stated 70-74. However I think it meant WORT temp, not ambient temp.

Any suggestions at this point? If the wort really does run up to 8 degrees warmer during fermentation, then it has been running 78-80 degrees.

When i swirl the carboy around I can get a couple of gas bubbles but then it stops. Is this beer going to be drinkable? How long should I wait before kegging it? I haven't taken a gravity check yet. Recipe states final gravity should be 1.012 but since I started high, I didn't know that the finish number should be.
Feed back greatly appreciated....

Zlaneb
Austin, TX

Hi zlaneb.
My 2 cents.
WLP300 optimum temp is 68°F - 72°F. I ran into a little confusion the first time I used White Lab yeast, the vial said to pitch at 72°F and I was fermenting at that temp. When I almost blew the lid on my bucket, I rechecked and the optimum temp was supposed to be 65°F.
The stout still turned out good.

From what I understand, the Hefe will pick up more of a banana flavor from fermenting at higher temps (which I remember reading was desirable in Hefeweizen.

I do not swirl my fermenters after fermentation had started, yeast likes to be left alone in the dark at comfortable temperatures.

Just check your gravity a few days in a row and if there is no change fermentation is ended, no matter what the stated final gravity is supposed to be. I usually let it sit for 2-3 weeks before I bottle.
Your beer may have a banana flavor to it, but it should be drinkable. Taking a gravity reading will give you a chance to taste you product.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback and insight. I'm learning and re-learning a lot about HB. I think I will wait until day 10 before pulling a gravity sample, if I can wait!

Thanks for the feedback and insight. I'm learning and re-learning a lot about HB. I think I will wait until day 10 before pulling a gravity sample, if I can wait!

OK Folks, the Hefe turned out great. Because life happens, it took me 11 days to get it in the keg. I force carbed it for 3 days following chart. Purged gas, re-gassed at 6psi and it has a great head and awesome flavor profile. The FG was 1.009 giving me about 6.5ABV. A little high for Hefe but I'm not complaining.
Lessons learned:
1. Don't panic!
2. A half batch (2.5 gallons) in a full size carboy works, but it is cumbersome. I purchased a 3 gallon carboy.
3. NEVER EVER put your picnic line on your gas post (ask how I know that)
4. Don't let your LHBS sell you sugar when kegging.
5. A thermowell is a good investment.
6. Make a list before going to your LHBS. I made too many trips (4)
7. Don't hook up gas line when tank is off and keg under pressure. If you do you get beer in your gas line (ask how i know)
8. There are a lot of people here that will help you, read post, you learn a lot.
9. The fruits of your labor taste awesome!

Thanks,
Zlaneb
Austin, TX - Y'all

Welcome back to brewing. I'll offer some random thoughts and opinions:
- Pils malt seems strange in an extract brew. Being a base malt, it must be mashed.
- With extract brewing, OG really can't miss, provided you use the correct weights and volumes. It's sugar dissolving that gives the gravity.
- I like using an oversized fermenter - I don't need a blow-off tube (some don't agree with this). Although 6.5 gallons for a 2.5 gallon batch seems like maybe too much.
- Don't let a lack of airlock activity make you think it's finished fermenting. Often, there just isn't a perfect seal.
- You mentioned a thermowell - have you discovered fermometers? (stick-on thermometer)
- Opinions vary as to time in the fermenter - mostly from 2 - 4 weeks. I normally go with 3 weeks.

Back