Mash Tun question regarding 10 gallon or 15 gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJOCONNELL

Reaction score
I am going to stick with 5-5.5 gallon finished batches but I love Triple/Imperial ipas and I am about to embark on the all grain adventure after getting three 5 gallon extracts batches under the belt (Pliny & Blind clone and a Firestone DBA).

I have been looking around to see if a 10 gallon mash tun is sufficient for imperial and big ipas. Biggest grain bill I have seen was 20 lbs and that means mash water needed is a little under 7 gallons.

Is a 10 gallon sufficient for 5 gallon batches?

Have been eyeballing the SS Brewtech Kettle and Spike. Getting somewhat close to pulling the trigger but wanted to get feedback.

Currently have an igloo setup I got for Christmas from my wife from Northern Brewery. I will use that setup for my first three all grain batches but then will be close to pulling the trigger on the mash tun.

Semi related note I picked up a HLT Keggle and I am waiting to get some cam lock bits and stuff for it (sight glass & Therm. from bargain fittings).

After that I am just going to save up for a single tier brew deck setup in SS from a local welder. He is on standby for the green light. Going to go with a 3 burner setup with space for two chugger SS pumps and a Therminator spot.

The final piece is the specs of the MT.

I agree. Having both 5 and 10, you can do all of what you describe with the 10. Even crank out the occasional pale ale 10 gallon batch if you want.

If you are going with the SS Brewtech kettle, go with the 15 gallon. It is $50 more and 50% bigger than the 10 gallon. Then you wont out grow it for awhile. :mug:

If you are going with the SS Brewtech kettle, go with the 15 gallon. It is $50 more and 50% bigger than the 10 gallon. Then you wont out grow it for awhile. :mug:

Sorry I have two keggles for brew & HLT. Looking for Mash tun...SS brewtech only makes a 10 gallon or 20 gallon @ $395 and $550....:cross::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross:

Back