Sorachi Ace - how much to use for aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I have some (200g) sorachi ace and I'd like to hear people's thoughts on amounts to use for aroma. I'd like to make a pale ale and possibly a saison or some form of wheat beer with them.

After tasting Bristol Beer Factory's Acer I had to try brewing with these - it's a fantastic beer. I think it uses Columbus in the boil and has late additions of Sorachi Ace. (A recipe for this would be awesome!)

However, this weekend I tried Wiper & True's Sprachi Ace IPA. This hops here were quite overpowering and the whole balance didn't seem to work for me. I think this was due to the use is SA for bittering as its a single hop beer.

Any advice/opinions are appreciated!

Cheers
Rob

I've fallen in love with sorachi ace but I've yet to use it as an aroma hops. To help curve that harshNess I use it as a FWH addition.

Thanks, I'll give that a try... I've been using Magnum for bittering in my last few brews, gives really clean results!

Cswalker - do you need to make an adjustment when calculating IBUs of a first wort hop addition?

Schumed - is that all at once at 10, 5 mins or at flame out. Or spread out over the last 10 mins? Any of that dry hopped?
What's your batch size?

Cswalker - do you need to make an adjustment when calculating IBUs of a first wort hop addition?

Schumed - is that all at once at 10, 5 mins or at flame out. Or spread out over the last 10 mins? Any of that dry hopped?
What's your batch size?

Here you go

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/33642/sorachi-ace

Its based on Brooklyn Brewery Sorachi Ace Saison

The Lemon/Dill from the hop with the belgian yeast character makes for a great combo

I use beer smith, so I just change the option from boil to fwh and it does the calculation for me.

Schumed, I use sora chi ace in my french saison as bittering. Ducking fantastic.

Cheers - I'll try to source a bottle of the Brooklyn saison you mentioned. I'm guessing it's going to be pretty pricey here in England!
If it's something I like perhaps that'll be my next brew. Cheers chaps!

The Brooklyn beer is fantastic. I modeled my own Sorachi Ace IPA after tasting it. For 5 gallons of IPA, I used 1.5 oz as a late boil addition and then another 1.5 oz dry hop. Turned out just beautiful! I wouldn't say that it was too much. If you don't want it too strong then just reduce to 1 oz each or skip the dry hop, whatever you prefer. It is indeed an assertive hop.

First wort hopping (FWH) actually adds about an extra 10% IBUs compared to a standard 60-minute bittering hop addition. It doesn't do what people say about flavor with smoother bitterness, that's hogwash. But don't take my word for it. I believe there's a Brulosophy exbeeriment out there about it.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back