Beers finishing on a metallic note

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccd5102

Reaction score
I'm new at home brewing having only brewed two batches. I've been content with both beers that I made, however they both finish pretty metallic(y). It's a mixture of that and bitterness from the hops. My most recent one was supposed to be an american ale with a very low IBU, but the finish is still bitter. Any suggestions on getting a crisp clean finish to my beer?

Metallic can also be recipe- are you using kits? Recipe info might help here. Overcarbonated beers can have a bite that some people taste as metallic, too.

Here's a couple of things to check:
1) Try using spring water instead of tap as the quality of your water can definitely cause this (high in iron and sulfates)
2) Try using different bottle caps - some cheap ones may cause off flavors
3) For a drier finish, if using extract, use DME versus liquid as LME oftentimes has more of a "twang". If doing all grain, try mashing at around 148-150 F to get a more fermentable wort.

Back