Hard-to-remove burnt wort removal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
I just noticed in my last batch that a lot of sediment was stuck to my 5500w element (stainless, from Brew Hardware). When I went to clean it there was a lot of burnt-on crud. After a 2-day soak in PBW, followed by multiple scrub sessions with Barkeeper's Friend, I still have a fair amount of stubborn scorched wort that I just cannot get off (the clean parts are really shiny, though! :mug:)
I'm doing another PBW soak now, but can anyone recommend something else to get the remaining crud off? Wire brush? Boiling vinegar? Baking soda? Vinegar and baking soda? Seriously, I got nothin'. I'd prefer to avoid anything toxic, but I'll go that route if necessary.

Thanks!

I would use hydrogen peroxide mixed into baking soda to remove scorched wort off my old stove. Use enough peroxide to get to like a toothpaste consistency. Let it dry, then scrub off

I've used oven cleaner on my elements.

I've also very carefully dry fired them long enough to turn the caramelized gunk to carbon. (Just hot enough to quit smoking...) And them scrub them off with scotch brite and PBW.

Your results may very...

I've also very carefully dry fired them long enough to turn the caramelized gunk to carbon. (Just hot enough to quit smoking...) And them scrub them off with scotch brite and PBW.
Ooo, if I weren't afraid of killing my element I'd give that a go. I don't have enough faith in my abilities to do that.

Washing soda soak. It's amazing what that stuff will cut.
Thanks for that! If the baking soda/hydrogen peroxide paste doesn't work, that'll be my next attempt.

After that I'll probably go the oven cleaner route.

Something I've seen work with a cooking pan that had burnt bits that were tough to get off: put it in a freezer or outside if the temps are cold enough where you are and let it sit for an hour. The baked on bits will often flake off with just a little effort.

The combination of Barkeepers Friend and scotch pads have worked well for me for several years.
That combo did do good things for the burner, just not good enough, even after two rounds of PBW soak/BKF scrub.

Something I've seen work with a cooking pan that had burnt bits that were tough to get off: put it in a freezer or outside if the temps are cold enough where you are and let it sit for an hour. The baked on bits will often flake off with just a little effort.
That's one I haven't heard before! If my HotRod could fit in my freezer I'd definitely give it a go.

The combination of Barkeepers Friend and scotch pads have worked well for me for several years.

I used to soak in pbw and scrub when I got thick baked on crud (which doesn't happen much, but once a year they seemed to accumulate stuff).

I rebuilt my kettle so it was easy to remove the elements. Then I found the easiest way to fix this is just burning it off.

Of course, this method might kill your elements, and maybe it will shorten its life. Maybe I'm crazy for doing this at all (I'm expecting those comments). And, if it's not easy to replace your elements, don't do this. I've been brewing with UWLD elements since 2009. I've had one element fall apart in that time, and I've done this two two elements about once per year.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my wife scorched a jam she was making, a bit of internet searching turn up the idea of boiling white vinegar to dissolve caramelized and burnt on sugars from the pan. This worked really well, in about half an hour, where a week of soaking in PBW, dish soap, scrubbing etc. didn't.

Doesn't smell great when you do it, but it's not terrible.

Your results may very...

That's exactly what I do (occasionally). The last time I tried soaking my element I got the base just under the liquid, letting some moisture inside causing a small leakage current that tripped the GFCI.

I'll go back to dry-firing from now on.

I wouldn't just assume this will always work, I'm am fully aware that the next time could be the last for my element. But man it's just so easy. Get it JUST to red hot, cool down.... then I'll go a second time.

Once it cools anything left just wipes off.

Acid #5.
Go to your local microbrewery--hopefully you already have a good relationship with the brewer. This stuff works wonders, but is nearly impossible to get for the home brewer.

I do a deep clean on all my gear once a year--kettles, pumps, kegs, etc. Makes everything look brand new and works wonders on elements.

-J

A scotch brite pad or a stainless scrubby pad will take it right off with a gentle scrub. A Brillo pad will work fine as well, yes a regular Brillo pad. I know your thinking OMG, a mild steel pad will deposit steel on my element and rust and be awful.

In my experience, It doesn't work that way, the stainless is so hard and the steel wool is so soft that it cleans very well and doesn't deposit any mild steel on the stainless. Sure, using a grinder that's been used on mild steel could be a problem, but fine steel wool is harmless. I wouldn't use a Brillo on polished stainless.

Another tip I read is to scrub with a crumpled piece of aluminum foil. Or perhaps a stainless wire brush.

Sometimes a little scrubbing with an abrasive tool works wonders.

Oven cleaner aka lye will knock it off right quick as well.

A scotch brite pad or a stainless scrubby pad will take it right off with a gentle scrub.

Another tip I read is to scrub with a crumpled piece of aluminum foil. Or perhaps a stainless wire brush.

Sometimes a little scrubbing with an abrasive tool works wonders.

Oven cleaner aka lye will knock it off right quick as well.
I ended up going the stainless brush/steel wool route.

Acid #5.
Go to your local microbrewery--hopefully you already have a good relationship with the brewer. This stuff works wonders, but is nearly impossible to get for the home brewer.
Sadly my closest "local" brewery isn't very close.

Can you remove the element and put it in an oven on a self-cleaning cycle?
As BrunDog mentioned, the plastic bits would melt.

So after a washing soda bath I was ready to hit it with some Scrubbing Bubbles, but decided to try a little more elbow grease first. I got a stainless brush and some steel wool, and while the brush was great for the outside of the element, steel wool was the only thing that could get inside the bends. I think I got most of it off.

EDIT: FYI, Even though what was left was at the ends, it still took a good 15-20 minutes of scrubbing to get it all off. It was really on there!

Now I just have to wait and hope that my last few batches don't taste like cigarette ash.

Thanks for all the help!

I use a a strong solution of boiling baking soda and water in my erlenmeyer flasks. It really does the trick; you can watch the solution dissolving the stains. Sometimes two rounds of boiling solution are required so have plenty of baking soda on hand. FYI, if you are using this on your erlenmeyer flask don't add more baking soda while its boiling. Baking soda addition = VOLCANO!!!

I used to soak in pbw and scrub when I got thick baked on crud (which doesn't happen much, but once a year they seemed to accumulate stuff).

I rebuilt my kettle so it was easy to remove the elements. Then I found the easiest way to fix this is just burning it off.

Of course, this method might kill your elements, and maybe it will shorten its life. Maybe I'm crazy for doing this at all (I'm expecting those comments). And, if it's not easy to replace your elements, don't do this. I've been brewing with UWLD elements since 2009. I've had one element fall apart in that time, and I've done this two two elements about once per year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKG3UjT0Wz4

You're such a rebel! :rockin:

So since reading this I have paid attention to my new element after the last two brew sessions and I dont get any buildup that doesn't wipe right off with a cloth.. In fact it even comes off with my kitchen sprayer and no wiping... Im using a 4500w incoloy ripple from kals site from spike brewing which only puts out 4026w of heat in my case in case anyone cares to avoid the cleanup or possibility of scorching. I even made a Belgian blond with Candie sugar and still no scorching or stuck on buildup at all.

So since reading this I have paid attention to my new element after the last two brew sessions and I dont get any buildup that doesn't wipe right off with a cloth.. In fact it even comes off with my kitchen sprayer and no wiping... Im using a 4500w incoloy ripple from kals site from spike brewing which only puts out 4026w of heat in my case in case anyone cares to avoid the cleanup or possibility of scorching. I even made a Belgian blond with Candie sugar and still no scorching or stuck on buildup at all.

I have a pretty consistent white film on mine that's hard to remove. I'm too lazy to worry about it though. Doesn't ever build/gunk/scorch up.

I have a pretty consistent white film on mine that's hard to remove. I'm too lazy to worry about it though. Doesn't ever build/gunk/scorch up.

I get the same white film on mine. I remove the element from the boil kettle (I have a tri clover fitting so it's easy) and use a sponge and spread out the element coil so the sponge gets in there, and go to town on it. It comes off but it does take some effort. It's not crud but a white film.

John

I get the same white film on mine. I remove the element from the boil kettle (I have a tri clover fitting so it's easy) and use a sponge and spread out the element coil so the sponge gets in there, and go to town on it. It comes off but it does take some effort. It's not crud but a white film.

John

I get that film on the regular LWD element in my HLT from the minerals in the water I believe? nothing on my ULWD element though...

Back