Lager Yeast Starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeRoe

Reaction score
Few questions here guys/gals.

1.) how long do you let your ale yeast starters stir on the stir plate? Same thing for lager?

2.) how long do you cold crash your ale yeast? Same for lager?

Being that I plan to prepare the starter ~65F and then just decant.... Do I want to get rid of ALL the liquid? Then how to suspend the yeast on the bottom? Pour a little wort from my homebrew batch and stir? Or still just leave enough to suspend and dump it.

This batch will be a 1.5 gallon batch so definitely want to get rid of the most liquid as possible.

Thanks!

For leaving a starter on the stir plate, it would depend on how many steps I am trying to complete with it. I figure 36 hours per step works for me.

For cold crashing, I am in the 48 hour club - I have no scientific information to back this up with, it just works for me.

As you are making a 1.5 gal batch, I agree that you should decant as much as possible. Like you stated, mix some of your wort back into your starter to get it suspended.

I treat ale and lager starters the same (other than volume). About 34 hours on the stirplate, two days of cold crashing.

I let it go 7 days to fully ferment , then cold crash for a couple of days.
Then I decant off most of the spent wort, and only pitch the slurry, discarding the starter "beer".

1.) how long do you let your ale yeast starters stir on the stir plate? Same thing for lager?

Being that I plan to prepare the starter ~65F and then just decant.... Do I want to get rid of ALL the liquid? Then how to suspend the yeast on the bottom? Pour a little wort from my homebrew batch and stir? Or still just leave enough to suspend and dump it.

This batch will be a 1.5 gallon batch so definitely want to get rid of the most liquid as possible.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Ale/lager starters are treated the same. Greater volumes needed for lager owing to the higher cell counts that are needed.

I do 48hours at full speed on a stir-plate at room temperature.

In the fridge for ~3 days

Pour off as much of the starter beer as you can without losing the yeast cake at the bottom. (Some yeasts are firmer packed than others.

All you want to leave is enough starter beer to allow you to swish all the yeast into suspension befor pitching it into your batch of wort.

Back